Probiotic pill that reduces glucose levels (under study)

fer's profile photo   02/03/2015 12:26 p.m.

New research from the University of Cornell in New York (USA) could have found the solution to this health problem thanks to a probiotic pill that reduces blood glucose levels using a common bacterium that is found in theHuman intestineThe work has been published in the Diabetes magazine.

In diabetes, blood glucose levels increases more than normal, which is known as hyperglycemia, which can cause a series of complications that can even reach stroke, heart disease and nerve damage.Researchers are convinced that their work is one more step to reach a definitive cure of this disease.

For their experiment, they designed a common strain of human intestine bacteria called lactobacillus (probiotic that is normally used to treat Crohn's disease, diarrhea or irritable bowel syndrome) to secrete a peptide similar to type 1 glucagon, a hormonethat releases insulin in food response.After orally, this probiotic modified in a group of diabetic rats for 90 days, rodents reduced their blood glucose levels up to 30%.

According to experts “the amount of time that humans need to reduce glucose levels after a meal is the same as in a normal rat, and the results correspond to the amount of glucose in the blood, as would bewith a pancreas with normal functioning.What the modified probiotic does is move the glucose control center in the pancreas to the upper part of the intestine, ”explains John March, leader of the study.

The next part of the experiment will go to test higher doses of this laboratory probiotic in diabetic rats in order to see if it is possible to completely reverse diabetes.At the same time, they are also working in order to create a pill for human use.If everything evolves favorably, diabetics could soon have a pill that would have to be taken every morning to control their diabetes.

fer's profile photo
fer
02/03/2015 12:26 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

As I always ask.Is this for type 1 or type 2?

The truth is that I don't just understand the mechanism.Does the glucagon not upload the sugar instead of lowering it?

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
02/03/2015 3:19 p.m.

En 1922 descubrieron la insulina, en 1930 la insulina lenta. ¿Que c*** han hecho desde entonces?

Well, I say the glucagon lowers the sugar ????Since when ??

Gala's profile photo
Gala
02/03/2015 3:58 p.m.

"Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro"

Eye! They do not talk about glucagon, if not, of a peptide similar to type 1 glucagon, which is not the same !!;)

fer's profile photo
fer
02/03/2015 5:53 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Ahhh!I don't know I have ever heard it

Gala's profile photo
Gala
02/03/2015 6:18 p.m.

"Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro"

I have looked at links in English and it seems that it is for type1 and for type 2.
Link

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
02/03/2015 7:31 p.m.

En 1922 descubrieron la insulina, en 1930 la insulina lenta. ¿Que c*** han hecho desde entonces?

I am surprised that it also serves for type 1, I had assumed that it would be only for type 2, but I'm glad!;)

fer's profile photo
fer
02/04/2015 1:21 p.m.

fer said:
eye! that do not talk about glucagon, if not, a peptide similar to glucagon type 1 , which is not the same !!;)

I had not noticed that it is the LPG-1 (glucagon Like peptide1).However, studies have been done in the past by providing it with type1 diabetics with very poor results.

What will the mice will have for anything you do to you heals diabetes?And above all, why do scientists not realize how stupid it is to play with mice, they have not read the more than 500 examples of "cures" as this is documented?

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
02/07/2015 1:44 p.m.

Sherpa is that with mice we share 98% of genes. And they have a very short life to study them well ..
Then it remains to ensure that all these treatments do not produce tumors in human, or other diseases ... that is the difficult thing to demonstrate ..

Regina's profile photo
Regina
02/07/2015 2:07 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.