Manny Hernandez's blog - Diabetes and your partner

fer's profile photo   10/07/2012 2:53 p.m.

Here you have an interesting post by Manny Hernandez, it is a very interesting approach to the experience of diabetes and your partner ...

Challenges are not a concept outside life as a couple.But, if one adds episodes of hypoglycemia, high sugar and emotions associated with all this to the mixture, the result is a recipe for even more interesting situations.

Either that diabetes has arrived as an unexpected guest to the lives of a perfectly functional couple or that has been part of the relationship from the first day, diabetes ends up causing an additional significant level of stress.

Diabetes is included in the package

Starting in courtship, the acceptance of diabetes begins with the person who has it, realizing that everyone reaches a relationship with their own problems and complications.If you are the person with diabetes in the couple, try to avoid the feeling of guilt and the fear of becoming a load for the relationship.While you cannot control the fact of having diabetes, you can reduce the emotional impact associated with it maintaining the best possible control.

You may be dating someone who cannot lead with diabetes ups and downs.If you feel within you that this is the right person, the best you can do for you and to help your partner to understand what he or she is facing is to speak clearly about the realities of diabetes, as you know them.

If diabetes appears in your life as a couple after being together for a while, you can test your relationship in many ways.You may discover how much you appreciate that your partner is patient, as well as how little you like to receive lessons related to food or sugar casualties.But you may also realize that, when you go through moments of disgust or depression due to diabetes, your partner touches hard moments in which he is doing their best to help you.

Type 3 diabetes

Those who are next to people with type 1 or type 2 diabetes are said to have type 3 diabetes. When the person with diabetes is part of a relationship, one of the most important type 3 people in their lives is automatically the couple.

My wife, the person with closer type 3 diabetes that I know, shared with me the things I have feared since they diagnosed me:

• Not properly recovering in an emergency situation.
• Not being a reliable support constantly for me.
• Do not realize an episode of hypoglycemia.
• Unjustly bother with me.
• Do not be particularly aware of our diet.
• And especially, the possibility that our 4 -year -old son develops diabetes.

All these elements are enough to keep it on guard.But instead of letting them control it, love, hope and determination have helped her overcome these fears.More has been informed about diabetes to learn to distinguish sugar casualties and how to react to them.He has also learned more about meals and its impact on my blood sugar levels, and is constantly pending to cultivate good food habits to our child.All these things make her a pillar full of love for us.

Together is better

There are things that we have diabetes we can do to thank the type 3 of our lives for what they do for us.We can recognize your effort and support and not give your time and dedication in our moments of difficulty.We must also spend time with our loved ones beyond what they do for us as part of the management of our diabetes.This can be to walk together, share during a movie or simply talk.

Talk about things.Tell your partner how you feel.ListenSincerely what your partner tells you.You may discover that there are things that you say, you do or let them have a deep impact without you knowing it.If even after all you feel that diabetes is affecting your relationship, seek professional help as soon as possible.Leading with diabetes is difficult to - talking about it with your partner is a healthy way of living your life Dlife to the fullest.

The original post:

fer's profile photo
fer
10/07/2012 2:53 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Great article!

ceciii's profile photo
ceciii
05/26/2016 2:17 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.