{'en': 'Victor runs against diabetes in the Los Angeles Marathon', 'es': 'Victor corre contra la diabetes en el Maratón de Los Ángeles'} Image

Victor runs against diabetes in the Los Angeles Marathon

fer's profile photo   03/11/2015 11:53 a.m.

Víctor Narro will participate in the next Los Angeles Marathon to raise awareness of a subject that considers social justice.

Throughout his life Víctor Narro has participated 19 times in the Los Angeles Marathon and has run the 42 kilometers in a dozen more cities, but last year he was about to hang the tennis.

It was not because he was tired, but because a silent illness took him from 'Carrerita' to the hospital when after two weeks he believing that he had flu, the sugar began to jog down the veins and glucose levels were so high that he was about to the point of the comadiabetic.

At 51 years of age Víctor Narro did not know that he had diabetes or that his mother had also suffered that hereditary disease. "I started losing weight, I had a dry mouth and blurred vision, when I arrived at the hospital the doctors were surprised since theSugar level was so high that it exceeded what the team marks to measure it. "

Although he has had a life without excesses, which is vegetarian and has always exercised, the diagnosis that he had diabetes was a surprise for this Peruvian immigrant.

From then on Víctor Narro, who is a professor at the UCLA Labor Studies Program and defender of immigrants, began to read about diabetes and understood that there is a great need to educate others since many suffer from it withoutknow.

That is why he will take advantage of his participation in the Los Angeles Marathon that runs this Sunday to draw attention to this condition that seems to affect Latinos more.

"It is a health crisis in the Latin community dueHealth is a social justice issue. "

fer's profile photo
fer
03/11/2015 11:53 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.