{'en': 'Myths about diabetes that defore the population', 'es': 'Mitos sobre la diabetes que desinforman a la población'} Image

Myths about diabetes that defore the population

fer's profile photo   04/05/2015 4:06 p.m.

Myth: very entrenched and distorted concept about characters or phenomena in various elements of our daily life;We see it in most general issues, even in diabetes.The myth arises from ignorance of the subject.

This writing is created with the idea that you can share it with whoever you understand is necessary, we want to educate the people around us.To get to know a little more about type 1 diabetes, we must first know the reality behind myths:

myth: eating too much sugar produces type 1 diabetes.
Reality: Type 1 diabetes is caused by a self-immune system disorder, which causes the body to attack and destroy beta cells, the insulin producing cells of the pancreas, causing a sudden increase in glucose levels.Sugar consumption is not related to the diagnosis of type 1 diabetes.

myth: Type 1 diabetes has cure.
Reality: Unfortunately, still type 1 diabetes has no cure, it is a manageable chronic disease, which requires the patient to maintain good control of their glucose.

myth: insulin cures diabetes.
Reality: Insulin is a hormone that we all produce.The person who lives with type 1 diabetes does not produce insulin and needs to supply that need with injected insulin several times a day, every day.

myth: the person living with type 1 diabetes has to carry a diet for diabetics.
Reality: the "diabetic diet" does not exist.The reality is that all people have diabetes or not, they must follow a healthy and balanced eating.A low fat diet, integrate whole grains, vegetables and fruits.

myth: insulin produces addiction.
Reality: Insulin is not narcotic, it is a hormone of the digestive system whose work is to facilitate that blood glucose enters into cells and is used by our body as energy.

myth: Type 1 diabetes can be caused by a situation of stress, courage, fright or strong impression.
Reality: We know that glucose levels can be altered in a situation of stress, courage, fright or strong impression, this being a normal body response, but has no relationship with a diagnosis of diabetes.Glucose levels can be altered because our body releases adrenaline or epinephrine in normal stress response;This reaction occurs to ensure that the body remains alert and has the necessary energy to defend against a danger situation.The effectiveness of insulin is temporarily reduced by the presence of counter -regulatory hormones (adrenaline, glucagon, cortisol, growth hormone), causing blood glucose levels to rise.This reduction in insulin effectiveness is temporary.

myth: Children with type 1 diabetes do not grow much.
Reality: Children with type 1 diabetes who correct their condition correctly have normal growth.

myth: Type 2 diabetes is less serious than type 1 diabetes.
Reality: Both types of diabetes can cause serious health damage if they are not properly taken care of.People with any type of diabetes are at risk of having damage to their eyes, kidneys, heart and feet as time passes.This risk of developing these complications can be prevented with good glucose control.The worst diabetes is uncontrolled diabetes.

myth: women with diabetes should not have children.
REALITY: Thanks to advances in medicine and technology, today it is possible that all women with diabetes can have babies without endangering their health or that of El Babe.The key is to have very good glucose control before becoming pregnant and maintaining thatcontrol throughout pregnancy.

myth: There are herbs and natural treatments that cure type 1 diabetes.
REALITY: Unfortunately there are no herbs or natural treatments that heal diabetes, the sad thing is that many people are fooled.

myth: people who have type 1 diabetes, whether children, adolescents or adults, should limit their physical activity and cannot practice sports or physical exercise.
Reality: physical activity has an effect similar to that of insulin, causing blood glucose levels to decrease.It is highly recommended that the person with diabetes perform the blood glucose test before starting to exercise and once the physical activity is finished.Our muscles nourish from sugar in our bloodstream, and the more energy the muscle uses, the less sugar we will have in blood.

How do we tear down the myths?
Sharing this and all the right information about diabetes.
If you have heard another myth about diabetes, please share it with us;We want to meet him.

fer's profile photo
fer
04/05/2015 4:06 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Añaridare the myth that people with diabetes cannot eat everything.

Mandril88's profile photo
Mandril88
04/23/2015 10:05 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

mandril88 said:
añaridire the myth that people with diabetes cannot eat everything.

And also healthy! ... Link

;)

fer's profile photo
fer
04/23/2015 11:04 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Mandril, handling the quick, of course you can eat everything, have you told you in the hospital?

Regina's profile photo
Regina
04/23/2015 11:38 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

Well, sincerely, they didn't tell me.I had to reason it based on giving the coconut.Now that one knows that the subject is going, I do not cut a hair.Breakfast my cereals, like what I want and when I want.Of course, the only thing I avoid are the shakes, juices and soft drinks.From the rest nothing.
What surprises me is how much misinformation, even in professionals in the sector, there is in health.I still think that the information is not renewed and there are even doctors who tell you to eat at the same time.Recycling man !!XD

Mandril88's profile photo
Mandril88
04/24/2015 7:41 a.m.

They didn't tell me either.In fact they gave me a diet to eat the same every day, and not to think about getting out of it!And nonsense "you can't eat mold bread so stop breakfast toast."But I knew that was not so, so I started reading and informing myself on my own and it is how I learned.But in the hospital they have not taught me anything.It is a shame.

Laire's profile photo
Laire
04/24/2015 11:02 a.m.

22 años. Tipo 1, debut 06/2014.
22 u. Lantus por las mañanas + Apidra

When they diagnosed me, they didn't tell me anything, they gave me some guidelines where I ate by calories instead of portions, that is, the same thing I had a piece of cheese as a plate of rice if they had the same calories andThey sent home with a NPH so you can imagine the lack of control, impressive descents and the climbs because the same.
The following year I was lucky that I changed my house and therefore from hospital (23 years ago, now we chose hospital) and say with an educator, who luckily took interest in their work, to train and help and helpthat heaven opened me and taught me to play with the food including sweets, my tail-cao of all the Dïas (Q with 12 years is appreciated)

Gala's profile photo
Gala
04/24/2015 1:08 p.m.

"Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro"

That is why I asked. There are many professionals who continue with the same ideas of 30 years ago, without taking into account the action of the new insulins, with which you can get much better adhesion to treatment, without so many restrictions.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
04/24/2015 4:43 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)

Well, I have more or less the same experience as you.They gave me the typical brochure with things of the type "avoid sweets, eat vegetables, lean meat ..." and they did not show me to count rations or anything.Moreover, I never got to talk to an educator.If it had not been online and forums like this the truth is that it would have had a lot of bad.

Inday's profile photo
Inday
04/24/2015 7:16 p.m.

The other day I had a visit with the endo;Well, she is a young girl, and I stayed stone when she told me that to be well I had to eat always more or less the same, and the cigar who hit me when I told her that San José's day had eaten some chocolate fritters:"That you carry bomb does not mean that you can eat everything, when you eat with your family you take you, because they are not diabetic and you do": -S However the educator tells me the opposite, that since I have the apparatusThat you use it for whatever it is, that we are "normal" people but handling the pancreas.So between the two they have me bewildered

belefe74's profile photo
belefe74
04/28/2015 11:01 p.m.

Diagnosticada en 1997
Siempre intentando mejorar.

Belefe, that doctor is a bitter, haha, or only knows of type2.Pay attention to the educator who knows more of type1,

Regina's profile photo
Regina
04/28/2015 11:11 p.m.

I think that but then when I turn my bomb and see that I ignore it .......

belefe74's profile photo
belefe74
04/28/2015 11:13 p.m.

Diagnosticada en 1997
Siempre intentando mejorar.

The important thing is that hemo goes well.It is the one that counts.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
04/28/2015 11:14 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.