{'en': 'Diabetes and carbohydrates', 'es': 'La diabetes y los carbohidratos'} Image

Diabetes and carbohydrates

fer's profile photo   04/27/2015 5:13 p.m.

Having diabetes means learning to eat better.Once you diagnose you with this condition, you have to be very aware of what you eat, when you eat it and how much you eat.

Before, maybe, you didn't even think about carbohydrates, proteins, fiber, the way you do it now.And even if you feel that diabetes has made your time to eat a less spontaneous matter, you should also feel happy to learn something that everyone should know: how many carbohydrates are ideal for maintaining glucose levels in their place.

In addition to other methods, such as the food exchange system, counting carbohydrates is an effective way to plan your meals to control your diabetes.Why is it important to know the amount of carbohydrates you consume in each meal?Because foods containing carbohydrates raise your glucose levels in your blood.

This happens because carbohydrates are the compounds that most quickly alter glucose in the blood, because when assimilating (when they are digested) they become simple sugar.Thus they act as energy for the body to work, as Vidaysalud.com establishes.

In addition to carbohydrates, it is important that you balancing your food with proteins and fats to keep diabetes under control.But as the matter that concerns us now is that of carbohydrates, here I remind you what are some of the foods that contain them: bread, cereal, rice, salty cookies;fruits and juices (juices);milk and yogurt;beans (beans or beans);Starch -based vegetables such as potatoes and corn;Sweet cookies, candies, cakes, carbonated drinks, potatoes and botanas (snacks) package.

Studies published by the American Diabetes Association have shown that carbohydrates of any food affect blood glucose in the same way that is, what matters is the amount of carbohydrates you consume in a meal or refrigeration and not the typeCarbohydrate.

fer's profile photo
fer
04/27/2015 5:13 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Hi Fer, and everyone had a doubt, and I just found this article, about hydrates, and proteins, I think it is interesting, since excess proteins and fat also influences diabetes.Read it, please, thank you.
It happened to me that I had climb and I didn't know why, and I think it's for this reason.

Link

Consu's profile photo
Consu
05/12/2015 11:54 p.m.

DM LADA (7-4-09). Con 50 años. Novorrapit flexpen, y Tresiva. Sin complicaciones.

Hi @Consu, very interesting the article, I copy it here for more ease of reading!;-)

Both carbohydrates and proteins and fats contain calories

To understand and control well diabetes it is necessary to know what happens to food when you eat.Foods are composed of:

- Carbohydrates
- Proteins
- Fats
- Vitamins
- Minerals
- Water

Both carbohydrates and proteins and fats contain calories and all can be used as a source of energy.Carbohydrates are mainly found in the food of the starches group but are also found in vegetables, fruits, dairy and sugars.The main sources of protein are meat and dairy products.Fats are found in dairy and meat.Fats can also be added to food such as salad dressings or margarine.They can also be added at the time of cooking foods such as fried potatoes for copetín, cookies or pizza.

Excess calories can cause weight gain.The weight gain, in general, results in high levels of blood glucose because the body becomes less sensitive to insulin.Vitamins, minerals and water do not contain calories, cannot be used as a source of energy and do not affect blood glucose.

How do foods transform into glucose?

When we eat, carbohydrates, proteins and fats are digested and broken down into smaller parts.Once they break down, these parts affect blood glucose of different ways according to the way they are absorbed and the way the body uses them.

Almost all of the carbohydrates consumed will become glucose in the body.The only carbohydrates that will not become glucose will be those that cannot be digested, such as fibers.

Proteins and fats do not directly become glucose when digesting.The effect on blood glucose is not as direct as in carbohydrate intake.The intake of a lot of proteins and fats can lead to the intake of many calories.

Excess calories can cause the cell to become insensitive to insulin.If the cell becomes insensitive to insulin, blood glucose can rise.

Therefore, the amount of foods that are consumed can affect blood glucose - excess can mean weight gain, insulin resistance and higher blood glucose levels.

Carbohydrates affect blood glucose because carbohydrates are digested and broken down into smaller parts that are mainly glucose units.

fer's profile photo
fer
05/13/2015 9:08 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Hello everyone.When they gave me the diet to follow, they told me that I could eat the vegetable, meat and fish that I would like, I mean, but the hits counted.
According to this article, we should also know the amount of proteins that we must eat.I'm wrong?
I will print the article and on the 22nd I will show it to Lidia, my educator, to have told me.
However, if someone before, find out some professional, would be great.Thanks Fer, and to all, Adeuuuu.

Consu's profile photo
Consu
05/13/2015 6:33 p.m.

DM LADA (7-4-09). Con 50 años. Novorrapit flexpen, y Tresiva. Sin complicaciones.

Eye vegetable.That many people confuse vegetables with vegetables.The simplest, any animal is free.And vegetables, they count, but you have to eat a lot.Tubercles are complicated (onion, potato, etc.) or legumes.Greetings.

Mandril88's profile photo
Mandril88
05/14/2015 7:30 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.