{'en': 'Diabetes is not perceived as an important disease', 'es': 'La diabetes no es percibida como enfermedad importante'} Image

Diabetes is not perceived as an important disease

fer's profile photo   04/29/2015 9:06 a.m.

One of the interviews within the framework of the XXVI Congress of the Spanish Diabetes Society was with the prestigious Catalan endocrine Ramón Gomis.Ramón Gomis graduated in Medicine at the University of Barcelona in 1972. In 1976 he specialized in endocrinology and nutrition and in 1982 he was doctorate.From 1982 to 1984 he studied at the Free University of Brussels and when he returned he was appointed attached doctor at the Clinical Hospital of Barcelona.In this institution from 1992 to 1998 he was head of the Diabetes Section and from 1998 to 2003 of the Endocrinology Service.

In 2008 he was appointed director of the Clinic Foundation for Biomedical Research.He has also been director of the Biomedical Research Institute August Pi I Sunyer (IDIBAPS) and the Biomedical Research Center of Diabetes and Metabolic Diseases Associated (CIBERDEM).Since 2002 he is also a professor at the University of Barcelona.At present, he is also the president of the SED foundation.

Gomis, was the founder of the Independent Theater La Tartana de Reus and is the author of several plays.He has also published several narrative texts such as Mar de la Frau, boats and stoves and guide of the Costa Dorada.In 2003 he was appointed illustrious son of Reus and distinguished with the cross of San Jorge in 2013. A reference in the diabetes with which we talk about the low transcendence that a disease as serious as diabetes has in our society.

Dr. Gomis confessed to feeling surprised because "diabetes is not perceived as a socially important disease", in his opinion this "can be related to a very generic term, diabetes, which groups many different concepts in oneself, things likeDifferent gravity and medical complications or different social problems, for example that among all generate great confusion in society ”.

As an totally different example to diabetes, Dr. Gomis put the case of cancer, where a type of cancer is normally spoken based on the affected body and socially assumed that there are more serious and less serious.In diabetes everything is put in the same bag, “in the same term the diabetes of a six -month -old boy, of one of 3 years, of a adolescent of 14 or an adult who overweight is included a type two withoutForget pregnant women and gestational diabetes.

This is the big problem denouncing Dr. Gomis who says that “Latin countries should put a more defined focus and transmit more concrete problems in each type of diabetes.A solution could go through a new nomenclature of the disease, without numbers, although that is an important task.

The TV3 maralato

The 24th edition of the TV3 Marathon, which will be held on December 20 of this year, will be dedicated to metabolic diseases such as diabetes, according to the Board of Trustees of the La Mararat Foundation, at the proposal of the Scientific Advisory Commission.

That a television program like this has put the focus on issues such as diabetes has a very clear person in charge of Dr. Gomis, which we ask about this matter.In his words “La Mararató de TV3 is an excellent initiative, part of the basis of betting on research to improve the quality of life of people suffering from a disease and that is very new, to think that the progress of our society and be able to winDiseases for your knowledge through research is very important "

And it is that the TV3 maralato will be held on December 20 can collect more or less 10 million euros for research projects and also generates significant sensitivity and generosity by the population, without forgetting the great media value andof promotion because for 24 hours society will know the problem of a disease such as diabetes.Magnificent initiative that we support 100%.

fer's profile photo
fer
04/29/2015 9:06 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

How much reason is.

But if I saw what some users of this website say it gives you something.Or what is worse they start investigating other diseases that are important and is not, which is very simple and bearable.Some do not even call him a disease if not a way of life.And it seems that the sick are delighted to be, also if something happens to them, it is always exclusively the patient's fault.What a waste of time and money to investigate something like that.

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
04/29/2015 9:16 a.m.

En 1922 descubrieron la insulina, en 1930 la insulina lenta. ¿Que c*** han hecho desde entonces?

sherpa41 said:
how much reason is.

But if I saw what some users of this website say it gives you something.Or what is worse they start investigating other diseases that are important and is not, which is very simple and bearable.Some do not even call him a disease if not a way of life.And it seems that the sick are delighted to be, also if something happens to them, it is always exclusively the patient's fault.What a waste of time and money to investigate something like that.

I begin to think that your problem is not diabetes, if not any depression.To start, I didn't say it was very simple and bearable.I said that compared to other diseases, it is simpler (in the sense that you do not have to be taking 20 medications) and bearable (it allows you to make a fully normal life), something that other diseases limit your motor capacity, or simply do notThey allow you to do anything.

Mandril88's profile photo
Mandril88
04/29/2015 9:37 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

I am also getting tired of showing that we have nothing, and that you can lead a normal life, if you complain and put but they jump with what you are in the process of denial, come man.normal life as you do?I speak of type 1 diabetes.

jjvm's profile photo
jjvm
04/29/2015 9:16 p.m.

@jjvm.Well look I wake up in the morning ... according to ... get up or not, breakfast ... Then I do the cheeser of my house ... lunch ... I see the savage me ... or castle .... Ceno and aSee TV ... And it depends on what they give on TV I see one thing or another .... as pumpkin pipes, always looking at the hydrates ... I make chocolate muffins ...
I am happy ... I also make efforts ... I start grass ... as fruit ... Irrigation in full sun and I get the basal of the bomb ....

Being happy and making it easy is oneself

vandorta's profile photo
vandorta
04/29/2015 10:20 p.m.

Llevo 24 años de matrimonio con Mi diabetes :-)

💜Dexcom g6 Diciembre 2020
💓Tandem Xslim Enero 2021

~ Hemoglobinas ~
Febrero - 10,8%
Julio - 6,5%
Septiembre - 6,3%

jjvm said:
I am also getting tired of making us have nothing, and that you can lead a normal life, if you complain and put you but they jump you with what you are in thedenial process, come man.normal life as you do?I speak of type 1 diabetes

Normal life?As Vandorta says, I get up, my cereals breakfast, I go out to make the purchase, I am with my friends, I do sports, play to the console, I see series, sometimes I go on a trip.I go out at night (without drinking alcohol).Ceno, I have sex, I sleep the nap, Tale jokes, I celebrate birthday, I see the family.I don't know what you mean normally.That throughout the day I have to dedicate to diabetes about 15 minutes in measurements, punctures and count hydrates, yes, but I have 23 h and 45 minutes left to do what I feel like when I feel like it.

Mandril88
04/29/2015 10:46 p.m.

If you only lose 15 minutes a day with diabetes you don't have a diabetes 1, or at least not a normal one.

As Pabloj2000 says, diabetes is almost like having a job, I would say that it is like having a child to constantly care and monitor, that it is not harmed, that eats well, that rests, is something exhausting and that occupies you 24 hoursof the day.That you can do more things at the same time if of course, but always watching your child sideways.

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
04/30/2015 12:13 a.m.

En 1922 descubrieron la insulina, en 1930 la insulina lenta. ¿Que c*** han hecho desde entonces?

@Sherpa41 Diabetes is having a job?It doesn't seem to me ... I look at the bomb every time, I measure me almost 12 times a day, I wake up at dawn .... That is not a job ... It's everyday.
I buy covers from my pump ... stickers up to Christmas ... When I go down the street and use splinters, I have the catheter in my arm and I hooked the pump in my shirt ....
Sorry. But my life is super normal

vandorta's profile photo
vandorta
04/30/2015 12:20 a.m.

💓Tandem Xslim Enero 2021

~ Hemoglobinas ~
Febrero - 10,8%
Julio - 6,5%
Septiembre - 6,3%

That it is a job Pabloj2000 said, I say that it is like having a small child to always be watching and controlling.And your example of how you describe that you live diabetes best suits that.

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
04/30/2015 12:24 a.m.

I live my diabetes very up to date ... even if I have a hard time controlling sometimes ... but it doesn't cost me

vandorta's profile photo
vandorta
04/30/2015 12:28 a.m.

💓Tandem Xslim Enero 2021

~ Hemoglobinas ~
Febrero - 10,8%
Julio - 6,5%
Septiembre - 6,3%

The DC.Ramòn gomis carries, at least diabetes 1 should be called in another way, it has cost me months that in my company understand the problem of this disease and that that there are medical services, people in general relate diabetes to pills and diet, and problem solved.

Now explain better thing about normal life, I mean leading a working life, not to water the plants, see the savage me and stay with friends, I speak of working in a private company that only look at most of them, to absent fromComment nothing officials, pensioners, housewives, etc ...

jjvm's profile photo
jjvm
04/30/2015 10:20 a.m.

Well, I study a career and work at the same time, and I do it while I live alone in another country (where I came three weeks after they diagnose me).Come on, my days are not precisely just watching TV and staying with my friends.And nobody cooks my food and tells me the rations that I am going to eat or anything like that.But, at least for now, I do everything I want, yes, with much more effort than other people without diabetes or other disease.
I have to be a thousand times more forecast and consistent.A silly example: the other day I was making a route through some cliffs and halfway you could choose longer routes and shorter routes.My friends's decision was simply based on "I am not very tired yet, we can make the long one."Instead I had to measure myself, see what trend I had, see how much food I had left and calculate the time it would take to finish each route to see when I was going to eat, etc.But in the end I made the route, which is what matters.
It is not easy but what are we going to do, I have diabetes and it is not cured so I have to resign myself and do my best.Do not accept it and cry for the corners will not bring me anything good!

Laire's profile photo
Laire
04/30/2015 2:40 p.m.

22 años. Tipo 1, debut 06/2014.
22 u. Lantus por las mañanas + Apidra

mandril88 said:
jjvm said:
I am also getting tired of making us see that we have nothing, and that you can lead a normal life,If you complain and put but do you jump with what you are in the process of denial, come man.normal life as you do?I speak of type 1 diabetes

... I get up, breakfast my cereals, I go out to make the purchase, I remain with my friends, I do sports, play to the console, I see series, sometimes I go on a trip.I go out at night (without drinking alcohol).Ceno, I have sex, I sleep the nap, Tale jokes, I celebrate birthdays, I see the family ...

Hello, with all the respects (and that I am not misunderstood), that life is not the "normal" (when we talked about the flute dog that you told me that it was not), and surely in those conditions (that's why I say that I don't knowI misunderstand, I am valuing what you put in a "normal" day if so, maybe I am wrong and of course I am not judging, there would be more) Diabetes can get along quite well.I have always said it ... the laboratory conditions that many endocrine assume (or assumed, and that I remember perfectly) are coña, eat at that time, breakfast at that time, mediañana at that time, eat this, eat the other, do so much sport, if you get off you take a juice and throw yourself on the couch .... Yes, all that would do it perfectly if they gave me a fixed monthly pay and did not have to work (that is, without worries or economicNor stress, just "take care"))escape (because we don't have time) ...

Now, the "normal" life of many people will be a job of many hours, with a stress in some very powerful cases, pressures, you eat when you can (and if you can), one day at 2, another at 5 and another noHe gave you time (because you are doing something that you can not stop until it is ready because you complicated and you get as you can, based on sugar lumps or soft drinks just), and I no longer tell you that you have to make guards, get out ofMorning from home with a planning 0 -you will tell me that planning when they can call you at any time, to do something that you do not know what will take you, and of course, a lot of pressure ... and many more things.It is not the same to get up, take a walk without pressures, go to make the purchase, go to the pool .... What if you are for example, a gardener, work in a warehouse, or make a cast in a messaging van inA private company (against the "official" that works from 8 to 3, and if it is wrong he leaves home with a decline, or the day he has an early morning hypo and is destroyed, he will not work, with all theReason for the world ...) I think we have to stop living in Yupi's worlds, because some can live in them, but not all, I am very clear.

That said, each one sees their "normality."My life could be more "normal" of course, but you have to adapt to circumstances ... I wish the circumstances (as I think it happens in some lucky cases, I envy them) they adapted to my situation.

Greetings

pabloj2000's profile photo
pabloj2000
05/02/2015 3:01 p.m.

PUBLIRREPORTAJES NO¡¡¡

The "normality" of diabetes is the one of oneself and the "normality" to cope with it are the circumstances of each person.There are people who naturally carry diabetes, they do not cost them, nor have any problem pronouncing that they are diabetic, measure in public or even inject.Other people are not like that.Like there are those who see in an insulin bomb an advance or an improvement and for others it is nothing more than something that will deprive you of being able to do some things determined by their delicacy.It is true that the ideal would be that we could dedicate ourselves exclusively to our diabetes and I think that it is still inevitable to suffer variants, any thing outside our normality alters the levels, that is so.That we have the means to correct such alterations, yes, but the variant will suffer indistinctly.But reality is very different and as we are not considered "sick" we have to work as well as the rest.Thing I personally wish, because only a real sick person is missing.The work is very complex and we depend on the clock both to eat and measure ourselves and click (those who use pen), although I see comments that exclude some positions, I can say that although it may be that in most of the time they are more comfortable to eat, to measure or click that others, at least in mine there is also the circumstance that when you touch you you cannot do it and it has happened to me to have a bad time to be low and it is me who has to help.The schedules as they say is also something to take into account, I work in shifts, if I touch tomorrow I wake up at 5.30, and if I go at night until 7 I do not leave.To the comment that someone who has a position can be discharged due to hypoglycemia, I think that or he has a very colleague Header or the rest is bad people with diabetes.I have never worked out and as every neighbor's son I have suffered unforeseen flu, gastrointeritis, fevers, tendonitis, etc. and non -diabetic colleagues have been lowered for less, that goes with the person.Nor am I who to speak since I my diabetes have her as the mutants her powers, in my work they do not know, where I train either, the people around my environment, friends.It is something that at the time if there had been the psychological cabinets that are now for patients and family, surely my life would be much more complete and happy than I have created myself.

LuVi's profile photo
LuVi
05/02/2015 8:15 p.m.

DMT1 desde los 12 años (1991)
hbA1c= 5,4

Humalog y Toujeo (mayo 2017)
Humalog y Tresiba (mayo 2016 hasta mayo 2017)
humalog y NPH (desde inicio hasta mayo de 2016)

Luvi, you are very strong, you are right.
As I read, there are several types of diabetes, and some are more bearable than others.
Once I got so much that I barely saw, I went side by side like a drunk, with the difficulty of reaching the kitchen to take something sweet, I spent it alone, I ate my Magdalena with chocolate and at 10 minutes I was already fine.I don't fall as a miracle.
Use 4 insulins and pills for cholesterol.My diabetes is nothing bearable I will never get used to it, but I assume it.What am I going to do?
I think, "some people", the less they know better.If you have a money problem, or disease, even political or religious ideas different from yours, they treat you differently, or simply stop treating you.
But there will always be someone who will be for you, and I will surely be your case.
Greetings, and encouragement.

Consu's profile photo
Consu
05/08/2015 5:35 p.m.

DM LADA (7-4-09). Con 50 años. Novorrapit flexpen, y Tresiva. Sin complicaciones.

sherpa41 said:
If you only lose 15 minutes with diabetes you do not have a diabetes 1, or at least not a normal one.

As Pabloj2000 says, diabetes is almost like having a job, I would say that it is like having a child to constantly care and monitor, that it is not harmed, that eats well, that rests, is something exhausting and that occupies you 24 hoursof the day.That you can do more things at the same time yes, but always watching your child sideways.

Of course, now it turns out that there are more types of type 1 diabetes, right champion?
I don't know how you do the others, but come on, that taking into account what I'm going to walk, work or things I don't have them.Simply like 5 or 6 times a day.

Mandril88
05/14/2015 7:42 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.