{'en': 'Experts foresee finding type 1 diabetes cure in five years', 'es': 'Prevén expertos encontrar cura a la diabetes tipo 1 en cinco años'} Image

Experts foresee finding type 1 diabetes cure in five years

fer's profile photo   05/18/2015 10:53 a.m.

The European Foundation for the Study of Diabetes reported that in approximately five years, scientists from various parts of the world, will announce their clinical and technological advances around the cure of type 1 diabetes through the use of stem cells that regenerate and prevent theDestruction of beta cells that secrete insulin, said President Philippe Halban.

After world experts from different academies, universities and study centers formed the diabetes research alliance, and urgently met in Barcelona in Barcelona to plan control and cure strategies of the disease, Halban explained that progress has been madeimportant that suggest that in five years the cure against diabetes 1 will have been found, which affects almost 285 million people and in 2030 it will reach 435 million.

“Embryonic stem cells are used, which, as their name says, are taken from an embryo at an early stage, something that is not legally allowed in all countries, and also from any part of the body to replicate by crops the producing cells ofInsulina, ”said the Joslin Diabetes Center researcher from Boston.

"These stem cells, pluripotential, which were grown and produced insulin, are not perfect (...) but they do insulin, they do respond to glucose," he announced during his participation in the 2015 Sanofi Summit, which was carried out in Cancun, Quintana Roo.

Similarly, he added a company in the US called Biacyte presented in October 2014 a clinical trial based on implementing a device on the body that releases embryonic stem cells.

According to Halban, scientific research aimed at serving 5 percent of patients with type 1 diabetes, caused by autoimmune destruction of beta cells of insulin producers, has yielded positive results in laboratory mice.

Although people with this type of diabetes have therapies that provide them with a broad life expectancy with the use of exogenous insulin, the reality is that it has not yet been possible to reduce the risks of suffering from hypoglycemia, which increase weight andThey suffer an lack of control of the disease for the use of a great diversity of syringes and the demand for rigorous monitoring daily.

For example, only 200 people worldwide can access pancreas transplants and they require immunosuppressants for life to avoid rejection, considering that collateral effects may occur.

The advance will not only change the paradigm in the approach of patients with diabetes, which, according to the goal, will no longer be sentenced to use insulin for life, but also shed light in the possible cure of type 2 diabetes.

"It is possible to restore glucose sensitivity," he added.Now, the challenge is to find mechanisms so that the use of stem cells does not derive in the development of other conditions such as cancer.

With respect to type 2 diabetes, what scientists are doing is seeing the way they can modify and repair the damaged pancreas.

Figures in Mexico

In Mexico type 2 diabetes, according to Guillermo Fanghänel, of the General Hospital of Mexico, generates annual losses for 85 billion pesos;73 percent corresponds to treatment, 15 percent to labor absenteeism and 12 percent at loss of admission due to premature mortality.

Only due to productivity, he added, 400 million working hours are lost per year, which represents more than 184 thousand full -time jobs.

In the country, within 24 hours, 650 people will be diagnosed with diabetes, 194 will die, 45 will remain blind, 56 will have renal failure and 78 will be amputated.

The lack of adhesion has turned this epidemic into one of the essential causes of mortality and disability.Especially since, according to evaluations, of the more than 9 million, 50 percent do not know, and of those who are already diagnosed at least 24 percent do not have their blood glucose, less than 65 percent receive proper treatment andUp to 55 percent do not receive preventive attention.

If there were adequate control, he clarified, 29 thousand renal insufficiencies would be prevented per year, in that period, 68 thousand people would cease to die for hypertension, 37 thousand for amiocardium infarction, and 10 thousand per pneumonia.

fer's profile photo
fer
05/18/2015 10:53 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

What a joy that gives me this news, well, my and everyone.Thanks Fer.

Consu's profile photo
Consu
05/18/2015 11:50 p.m.

DM LADA (7-4-09). Con 50 años. Novorrapit flexpen, y Tresiva. Sin complicaciones.

Although I have already seen a few and you have to take it prudence, you never have to lose hope, hopefully the day really comes, meanwhile, here we will be to help us!;)

fer's profile photo
fer
05/19/2015 10:09 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Heh, I remember the first time I heard that 5 years were missing to cure this;I had just debuted and also said that a system that controlled sugar would even arrive before (3 years).Another day I tell you what year I debuted ...

Pedro37's profile photo
Pedro37
05/27/2015 7:12 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.