{'en': 'An artificial pancreas to control type 1 diabetes', 'es': 'Un páncreas artificial para controlar la diabetes tipo 1'} Image

An artificial pancreas to control type 1 diabetes

fer's profile photo   07/03/2015 8:02 p.m.

It sounds like science fiction, but the reality is that the development of an artificial pancreas that monitor the glucose level of people suffering from type 1 diabetes is much closer than it seems, with phase research projects already of clinical trials in clinical trials inThe United States, Australia or even Spain.

Edward Damiano, biomedical engineer at Boston University, heads one of the most promising projects.He started the project after his son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes - the least common of all - with only 11 months, which forced him to closely monitor his blood sugar level especially during the nights to avoid the dreaded hypoglycemia.

Damian's team, in collaboration with the Massachusetts General Hospital, has developed an artificial pancreas that controls the patient's blood sugar level every five minutes with the help of a smartphone and manages the necessary dose of insulin or glucagon, imitating imitatingA normal pancreas.

The device has already passed several essays with diabetics, the last one only a few months ago when 20 adults lent themselves to use this artificial pancreas for five days when they largely managed to continue their daily routine.It was a success, like the camps organized by the University of Boston the last two summers in which the device was tested in children and adolescents, monitored at all times by this artificial pancreas and a team of professionals.

The artificial pancreas of the University of Boston is composed of a small terminal that monitors the glucose level, an iPhone that receives that data every five minutes and uses an algorithm to determine the exact amount of insulin or glucagon -the hormone that counteracts-that the patient needs, and two small infusion pumps that manage the hormone.

In total, the Damian artificial pancreas monitors and regulates the blood sugar level up to 288 times a day, a very high figure that could allow diabetics to significantly improve their quality of life.

However, not everything is good news.

First because the device is somewhat uncomfortable for patients, who must load at all times with the three components of the device.And above all, due to doubts about the administration of glucagon, unusual in both people with diabetes and without it, since its side effects are unknown.

In recent years the career has been exacerbated to develop an efficient, comfortable and universal artificial pancreas for diabetics.A team of Australian researchers presented a few months ago Princess Margarita Hospital of Perth another artificial pancreas model, more similar to an intelligent insulin pump that incorporates a sensor that detects 30 minutes in advance the exact moment in which the level of the level ofglucose and manage the necessary doses of insulin to avoid the dreaded hypoglycemia.

The device costs about 7,500 euros and has an approximate half -life of four years.

In Spain, a team formed by the Barcelona Clinic, the upper technical escala of the University of Girona (UDG), the Polytechnic University of Valencia (UPV) and the Institute of Health Research of the University Clinical Hospital of Valencia (Incliva) works inAnother artificial pancreas, also in the test phase.

The isism would be able to respond to both descent and sugar increases with special attention to the moments after meals, when peaks can occur at glucose levels that must be taken into account to avoid excessive insulin infusion thatcan cause hypoglycemia.

[Source: NIH]

fer's profile photo
fer
07/03/2015 8:02 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

You leave the real photo of the super invention, super comfortable !!!

I can't stand all that on all an hour on top.

And I see that in summer the news recycled because this had already been published several times and does not contribute anything new to the other times they did.

Link

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
07/03/2015 8:09 p.m.

En 1922 descubrieron la insulina, en 1930 la insulina lenta. ¿Que c*** han hecho desde entonces?

You already see that comfortable, precisely comfortable ... is not ... #-o

fer's profile photo
fer
07/03/2015 8:28 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

In my way of life, being all full of cables and bullshit is not an option.

I am one of those who would not carry an insulin bomb even if they paid me 500 euros per month.

And the dexcom if they gave it to me for free would also have to think about it, very annoying in that place and very bulky.

Artorias's profile photo
Artorias
07/03/2015 8:34 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

artories said:
and the dexcom if they gave me free I would also have to think about it, very annoying in that place and very bulky.

I thought like you, but now that I have been with the Dexcom for 2 years ... I don't even leave it to go to the WC !!! ... I couldn't tell you about the bomb because I haven't tried it.;)

fer's profile photo
fer
07/03/2015 8:37 p.m.

The quality of life rises a safe lot, especially for the theme of alarms.But for various reasons I could not make my normal life with him, and with the free freestyle on the arm, I will try it if it measures me well in my leg and if not in the trash.

Artorias's profile photo
Artorias
07/03/2015 8:39 p.m.

artories said:
in my way of life being full of cables and cosses several is not an option.
I am one of those who would not carry an insulin bomb even if they paid me 500 euros per month.
And the dexcom if they gave it to me for free would also have to think about it, very annoying in that place and very bulky.

I think exactly the same.

The truth is that even the freestyle bothered me a lot.I was using it for a couple of months and since I stopped using it (because of its inaccuracy), I feel a huge pleasure to have nothing nailed to my skin and to be able to put myself in bed without worrying that I will not start or move it.

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
07/03/2015 9:18 p.m.

En 1922 descubrieron la insulina, en 1930 la insulina lenta. ¿Que c*** han hecho desde entonces?

The artificial pancreas .. let's go the sexiest ...
Artorias I carry the dexcom on the side, at the height of the bra, in fact I cover it/subject with him and now in summer with the bikini equal and I do not find out that I carry it, nor do the others find out because it remains a cover andIt does not bulge

Gala's profile photo
Gala
07/03/2015 11:09 p.m.

"Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro"

artories said:
in my way of life being full of cables and cosses several is not an option.

Look, I'm 29 years old since 14. I ever thought of the Dexcom and now that I have been 3 years if I have to take it out, you know what it is to spend 3 years without having a hipay -bidder?That has no words.

Regarding the Idem microinfusora, I would never have placed it until I pass when people looked at me the Dexcom and very happy explained it.
I started seeing the positive things of a microinfusora and I have been fighting 7 months to put one.On Thursday they put it on me, that if with saline solution so that I see all its function live and make several load changes and I can assure you that I do not carry it with insulin and if they took it away I would give me something too, with the sportThat I do, to be able to reduce basal, the one that you never forget the ball and you can correct yourself at any time, to be able to put units in a percentages of 0.05 U by 0.05 u, and I can assure you that all lifeI have brought good diabetes control.

It is also true that they have taught me to eat for rations of carbohydrates now, and this is another world that together with the bomb and Dexcom my life and that of my family is another.
I carry the animas Vibe, I have bathed with her on the beach, it is aquatic (here are 3 months of summer bathing me on beach or pool every day, it is connected with the Dexcom.
At the time of competition the control is total.

I respect and confirm that I thought before you, but not now.
In the Gym, MTB's classmates, running teammates have all seen it, people on the beach, in the urbanization and they don't give me exactly the same as they see me, it is more about 4 parents of diabetic children have come to ask me howEverything goes and I have explained it to them and the children.

Greetings and really I would not go back and all my life have been negative opinions to put on something since the control was very good.

jconegar's profile photo
jconegar
07/04/2015 5:56 p.m.

Miembro del equipo moderador del foro.

Ultima prueba realizada:
Maratón San Petesrburgo (Rusia)
https://luchojuntoamidiabetes.blogspot.com/2019/07/maraton-san-petersburgo-rusa-42195-mts.html

Prueba deportiva Ruta de las Fortalezas.
http://luchojuntoamidiabetes.blogspot.com/2019/05/ruta-de-las-fortalezas-2019-54700.html

Facebook: Jorge Moto
Usuario Dexcom G6 y microinfusora Tandem T: Slim X2 Basal IQ

Good that you already have it, you had not said anything !!
What comments that it is connected to the Dexcom .., have you had to change the Dexcom to adapt it?Apart from seeing the Dexcom graph on the pump screen, there is also the possibility of carrying the Dexcom receiver ???

Gala's profile photo
Gala
07/04/2015 7:05 p.m.

"Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro"

@Gala works with the G4 Platinum without adapting anything.And yes, you can take the receiver apart so you can see the graphs in both at the same time.When I am at work I leave the receiver on the desk and I'm looking at him but when I'm going to run or I'm at home I look at him in the animas Vibe.

Inday's profile photo
Inday
07/04/2015 9:47 p.m.

If Gala had not commented anything because I still have it with saline solution and I wanted, playing sports with her, adapting to me as if it were really insulin.
I have not had to change anything, I am also seeing the check of the two and almost always coincides or there may be a minimum variation of 3 or 4 mg in ups or down, but the next measure always coincides.
If of course you can now be seen in the two in the pump and receiver, now I take the two to see the different situations and see how it behaves so much when I do mtb, running or indoor cycle and I am very contain, but when I go to Insulina I no longerI will carry the Dexcom receiver because it is not worth it, I am also reducing basal when I do sports and others to see how everything goes (although it really is not worth it but I want to study everything very well).
I want to upload videos to YouTube so much from the Cateter Comfort Short that I am putting on (that there is none on YouTube), how it goes in Spanish since there is either, and for me those who are in English are really not clear.But I will do this when I have it well controlled at the end of the month because I do not want to give any type of information that is not real but for now I am very happy.
With the first catheter I have already bathed on the beach, make a hard MTB route of 2.30 hours, 1 h 30 min running, and 1.30 of Indoor cycle and endured the catheter without any problem and without using the skin tac (All this in 3 days), but it has only been one, right now I have the second, to be very sure before commenting but I repeat you do not have insulin yet and if they took it out I would not know how to live.
Here in my blog I have already written something of it (in the blog I will put the YouTube videos when I control it well, if you saw me in the first catheter change how lost it was, ha ha ha):
Link

jconegar's profile photo
jconegar
07/04/2015 9:54 p.m.

Ultima prueba realizada:
https://luchojuntoamidiabetes.blogspot.com/2019/07/maraton-san-petersburgo-rusa-42195-mts.html

http://luchojuntoamidiabetes.blogspot.com/2019/05/ruta-de-las-fortalezas-2019-54700.html

But if your control was very good with the feathers, why have you passed to the pump?Comfort of not having to click and still take better control?
If you already had good control without eating for portions, you would still take it much better now than you know how to do it.

It is that I would only consider the bomb if I had a brutal lack of control and could not solve it with feathers.
While I can throw more or less with feathers a bomb I don't want to see it.
Although as I tell you, I know that pump control is more precise, but I prefer to sacrifice a bit of good hemoglobin and use feathers.

Just thinking that I have a device attached to the body, quite speaking, all day, which I depend to live, would make me enter safe depression.It has already been quite hard to accept that I depend on insulin punctures to live.It makes me feel quite useless.

Also for my work and for my hobbies, I cannot wear something like this since those things are sure that they cannot wear strong blows.

I may change my mind over time, but right now the pots in my life do not proceed.

Artorias's profile photo
Artorias
07/05/2015 2:49 p.m.

When it comes to sports I can assure you that it has its advantages, with the simple fact of being able to reduce the basal and having to take less glucose is already life.
In addition, the Dexcom receiver for the pump is not a gossip.
You have never left and you have forgotten the insulin or you go down the street you have seen that it was uploaded for example to 150 and you have thought if I had taken the ball ...
I usually do sports day yes and day not when they are not four days in a row like last week.I understand perfectly how you think in the 29 years of diabetes I have always thought of how you.
It is true that there are elite athletes who do not carry microinfusora, nor do they have the DEXCOM and are impressive, they play with their basal the days of before and others and are able to make ultras and others.
But I am not theirs I am simply a diabetic person with 42 years and diabetic since the 14 who began to play sports at age 38 and I am a fan.We all have to put our goals that are as important as those that make ultras and we are all as good as they, we can all within our possibilities.I started thanks to them to see what they were able to do and learn from them and I have my illusions in the world of sport.

jconegar's profile photo
jconegar
07/05/2015 3:09 p.m.

Ultima prueba realizada:

jconegar said:
When it comes to sports I can assure you that it has its advantages, with the simple fact of being able to reduce the basal and having to take less glucose is already life.
In addition, the Dexcom receiver for the pump is not a gossip.
You have never left and you have forgotten the insulin or you go down the street you have seen that it was uploaded for example to 150 and you have thought if I had taken the ball ...
I usually do sports day yes and day not when they are not four days in a row like last week.I understand perfectly how you think in the 29 years of diabetes I have always thought of how you.
It is true that there are elite athletes who do not carry microinfusora, nor do they have the DEXCOM and are impressive, they play with their basal the days of before and others and are able to make ultras and others.
But I am not theirs I am simply a diabetic person with 42 years and diabetic since the 14 who began to play sports at age 38 and I am a fan.We all have to put our goals that are as important as those that make ultras and we are all as good as they, we can all within our possibilities.I started thanks to them to see what they were able to do and learn from them and I have my illusions in the world of sport.

I cannot be more than agreement with you !!, I think that this technology helps a lot to those who practice sports and those who suffer from unstable diabetes, although I also understand that those who have stable diabetes and under control are wondered "do what?"

Con_Q_de_quimica's profile photo
Con_Q_de_quimica
07/05/2015 6:26 p.m.

I take it in gluteo and the truth is that I completely forget that I take it until I have to change it.If I go to the beach, it is covered with the bikini and people do not find out.

Inday's profile photo
Inday
07/06/2015 11:53 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.