Glucagon vs Hydrocortisone

juanqui2791's profile photo   01/21/2013 9:42 a.m.

I would like to know more about the injection of hydrocortisone.
I have heard that sometimes in severe hypoglycemia, especially if alcohol has been grabbed, glucagon does not work.
And hydrocortisone does work in all cases of hypoglycemia.
It can also be asked apart from glucagon, also having the injection of hydrocortisone, especially for parents with adolescent children, in case they had grabbed alchool.
It is not my case since my child is only six years old.
But I would like someone of you to explain a little about the difference in glucagon and hydrocortisone, and if you can ask the head doctor to prescribe it.

juanqui2791's profile photo
juanqui2791
01/21/2013 9:42 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Glucagon injection stimulates the liver to release all the glycogen reserves it stores to blood.
When drinking alcohol, a lot of alcohol, the liver is entertaining to purify all the complex molecules that the alcoholic beverages carry, so he ignores the signals that reach him with the injection of the glucagon.

I have read cases that prolonged fasting empty the glycogen deposits of the liver and therefore the glucagon would not be effective.
Although I am surprised that this can happen in people with diabetes.

In the urgencies of hospitals, what is done in these cases (alcohol) is to supply the first thiamine (vitamin B1) and then put glucose, electrolytes and bicarbonate until reaching hyperglycemia.
That is, in case of hypoglycemia with alcoholic cause it is not as simple as putting a chute of hydrocortisone and voila.You always have to go to the hospital and have strict control because the danger is very large.

Hydrocortisone injection is intramuscular or parenteral, so having it at home is not so simple.Someone who knows should apply it.
Glucagon injection is very simple and anyone can do with minimal training (or reading the instructions).

The glucagon if I know that you can ask for a recipe, of hydrocortisone or idea.

It is not a bad idea to have the glucagon, of hydrocortisone, in case of diabetes, I do not believe because if you need it you will necessarily have to have a medical team next to it.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
01/22/2013 3:30 a.m.

I always have glucagon at home, I also have two in the fridge of the house and another I have it at my son's school.I only asked about curiosity about the hydrocortisone that had heard spoke but I didn't know exactly what it was.

juanqui2791's profile photo
juanqui2791
01/22/2013 7:41 a.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.