{'en': 'Sudden glucose climb after breakfast', 'es': 'Subida brusca de glucosa tras el desayuno'} Image

Sudden glucose climb after breakfast

DiabetesForo's profile photo   02/20/2013 2:47 a.m.

Hello everyone.

In case I could serve someone, I follow a topic that I discovered casually recently.It is not something exceptional, then I have read in the forums that happens to enough diabetics.

I am 57 years old, type II diabetic for four.As usual, I started with oral medication, and for some months I am also with the Lantus insulin, 12 units in the morning.Following a good diet and with exercise, I can maintain the controlled situation, although the typical "peaks" are not lacking after some food, as usual.

I had never measured in mid -morning.I get up at 7 hours, I have a level that ranges between 85 and 100. Therefore, I had breakfast and so confident to work.

But a few days ago I woke up with 130, and being higher than not normal I decided to take the meter to the office.I just had breakfast a yogurt and took seven or eight sugar cookies that I ate at 8 hours.Well, at 9.30 I was in 200. I thought it was something punctual, but no.After monitoring for several days it turns out that in the early morning, with a minimal proportion of food, the level is triggered at levels of 180 to 200. It doesn't matter what breakfast, I have tried everything, and always minimal amounts.And that I go a good stretch walking to work, although it is true that my activity is office, therefore there is little physical exercise.

They have not given me a concrete response of why this happens.But it is clear that the organism, after the rest of the night, is as if he received a message so that in the first hour, at the beginning of the activity, brutally transform the food into glucose.It seems that it also happens in that diabetes called gestational, of pregnancies.

So as this disease is so sacrificed, I have remedied it as follows: I am going without breakfast at all, some hunger is passed, but that remedy.From 7 to 9 am, nothing at all.And from 9 start to eat those cookies without sugar, very slowly, half cookie ... another half past 20 or 30 minutes ... thus spacing that little food until eleven in the morning.There are no descent problems in my case, that level of 90 to 100 in the morning, can lower something, about ten points, but nothing more.

And curiously, at half past twelve, I go out, I take a little vinito with a good snack (even tortilla or similar) and at that time it already behaves normally, climbing at most 110 or 120.

This is my experience that I transmire you in case it can be of interest to some.

Remember, as I said, that this is very sacrificed.So always and go ahead.There will be no missing moments, it is inevitable, but despite this burden that has come to us, life offers many good things, do not let yourself sink.I always say that these sacrifices have an award when we observe that our meter is at the level we like, and that will always be a reason for satisfaction.

A hug.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
02/20/2013 2:47 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Hello Miguel:
I have no experience in type 2 diabetes but maybe you should consult with your doctor to adjust the medication.
It is common for the morning to have more insulin resistance.

DiabetesForo
02/20/2013 3:28 a.m.

Miguel, the Lantus takes about 4 hours to start acting to the fullest, so, the first hours of the morning, you have little insulin acting, that is why breakfast raises you a lot.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
02/21/2013 10:17 a.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

But it is that the lantus does not cover carbohydrates, if you do not combine it with another medication it will have a glucose rise with breakfast.

DiabetesForo
02/21/2013 10:25 a.m.

Already, Prado, but as he says he is type 2 and that the rest of the day is fine, maybe he has enough with Lantus .., Miguel, looks at Var if after meals you are fine.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
02/21/2013 10:31 a.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)

Hello, thanks for your advice.
I insist that this climb occurs early with breakfast.The only reasonable explanation is that the Lantus had no effect at that time, having already passed 24 hours a day and not having begun the effect of the new dose.
As I say, from twelve, I can eat more food both in quantity and in hydrates (bread, tortilla, sausage) and the effect is already normal.
The food, being oblically more substantial in quantity and variety, usually rises to 160, sometimes less.
In any case, with the system that I indicated, of not taking anything in the early hour of the day, I am fixing it.
HAPPY DAYAAAAAA TO ALL.

DiabetesForo
02/21/2013 11:04 a.m.

What happens to you is normal.
As Prado says, Lantus covers the minimum insulin needs.

If you have 1 yogurt breakfast and 6 cookies, that equals about 200 glycemia ... although your pancreas produces some insulin+the walk+the effect of the lantus ... is not enough for that amount of carbohydrates, because toFirst hour of the day is when there are more insulin resistance.

sugar -free cookies also have carbohydrates, therefore they will also raise glycemia ... just like sugar cookies.

DiabetesForo
02/21/2013 11:46 a.m.

Hello, my daughter is type I, but we have been the same thing for two days.To date everything perfect, rose with values ​​around 90/100 and breakfast 1 glass of milk and six cookies, 4 rations that are what its pediatrician told us and 4 doses of fast.Breakfast at 8-8.30 and at 11 new control and take its 2.5 rations for lunch.Until yesterday it came perfect, even one day something fair so it was not rapidly punctured in lunch and very well until the food.But yesterday and today having breakfast the same, at the same time, clicking and moving the same at eleven has arrived with 215 the two days.What do you advise me, get up fast or change breakfast?I am afraid to put one more quickly, normally when we have uploaded one quickly, when it is not usual, it has had a hypo.
These guidelines we carried were phenomenal already thinking at the beginning of the school ..... But let's go .... we can't trust.

RocioLlinares's profile photo
RocioLlinares
08/26/2015 11:46 a.m.

Mamá de María. 15 años. Diagnósticada 05/06/2015
Humalog
Tresiba
@RocioLlinares
Última hemo 6,1

sprinkle said:
hello, my daughter is type I, but we have two days that the same thing happens to us.To date everything perfect, rose with values ​​around 90/100 and breakfast 1 glass of milk and six cookies, 4 rations that are what its pediatrician told us and 4 doses of fast.Breakfast at 8-8.30 and at 11 new control and take its 2.5 rations for lunch.Until yesterday it came perfect, even one day something fair so it was not rapidly punctured in lunch and very well until the food.But yesterday and today having breakfast the same, at the same time, clicking and moving the same at eleven has arrived with 215 the two days.What do you advise me, get up fast or change breakfast?I am afraid to put one more quickly, normally when we have uploaded one quickly, when it is not usual, it has had a hypo.
These guidelines we carried were phenomenal already thinking at the beginning of the school ..... But let's go .... we can't trust.

I can think of a lot of possible causes;Since he has some anxiety for the imminent return to school until he is incubating something, through changes of the honeymoon.In my humble opinion I think the best can be taken to the doctor to see what he recommends.

Con_Q_de_quimica's profile photo
Con_Q_de_quimica
08/26/2015 12:02 p.m.

Children as they grow are needing more insulin, and they also do it to jumps .., I would put one more fast and give him one more Gallefa, just in case ..
Sometimes it is better to increase half a unit, you can't, but with syringhilka, yes.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
08/26/2015 1:58 p.m.

We will try what you say, Regina, tomorrow I will be with her, at least I have it closer.
If Maria will need more insulin to the rhythm that grows, we carry it clear .....;)

RocioLlinares
08/26/2015 3:29 p.m.

Humalog
Tresiba
@RocioLlinares
Última hemo 6,1

The needs of insulin house one is a world, I have stayed until recently putting 12 of Lantus and 4 of Humalog to food and now 1 year to here I put 11 from Lantus in the morning and 14 at night and 4-6-4 of Humalog and in between some correction ...
I would also upload 1 but instead of eating the cookie, I would look at me because a unit comes to go down 70 and your daughter AE passes the optimal level in more than 100 and also insulin resistance is usually stronger in the morning

Gala's profile photo
Gala
08/26/2015 3:46 p.m.

"Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro"

What I would not do is lower the rations of hydrates.Being a girl needs them, not like us, that we can reduce the intake of hydrates.In my case before trying to climb the fast I prefer to try to distribute the hydrates in another way, but with the children I would not.I think the idea of ​​raising the fast and giving it one more cookie.

xorxie's profile photo
xorxie
08/26/2015 5:04 p.m.

Hi Rocío!With my daughter I use Apidra Junior's pre -scratch pen and you can administer on average on average
unity. He is ten years old and we started with Humalog as you who in other countries if he has bolis of half units but here no.The last year they began to market Apidra Junior that is a rapid analogue that acts like the Humalog and the novorapid and the vaEqual good (it is from the Lantus laboratory) with the advantage of playing with half units that at least I love it. Regarding the glycemia peaks at these ages is crazy, between the growth hormone and a thousand more variables there are more variablesseasons you don't know what to do. Here the moms give us good advice. Fuerte and a hug!

beti's profile photo
beti
08/27/2015 10:34 a.m.

Gracias to all for your advice !!!!
Today it goes and gets up somewhat higher than usual does not usually reach 100 and today 113, but well I don't think it's bad, I'm not sure what the ideal values ​​would be for her, or I am no rookie or clumsy, we will see if timeHe fixes it.Thinking about uploading a unit and controlling, today has not wanted cookies and has taken cereals, at 11, lunch time, 73 could understand that it was for the cookies, if other days I would not have taken, but well .....As you told me it will be growth, hormones, or to know ...

RocioLlinares
08/27/2015 11:15 a.m.

Humalog
Tresiba
@RocioLlinares
Última hemo 6,1

Well, it is very good so if you start getting up with more than 150, it is over a lantus, although it fits better with average.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
08/27/2015 12:57 p.m.

Hello, I have read above and I have not seen anyone mention that in the morning the body suffers greater insulin resistance, this is usually due to the fact that during the last hours of the dream the body releases cortisol, growth hormones and othersantagonistic hormones to insulin, which promote the release of glucónego stored to the blood.In a normal person this phenomenon (known as the phenomenon of ALBA) is automatically regulated.In the case of diabetic people it is more complex, it happens to me and I have not yet found the 100% effective formula to counteract it.As advice, lunch something with few hydrates.In my case, calmly 3h or 4 until insulin takes effect and when it does, it goes down quite fast.

FernandoGR's profile photo
FernandoGR
12/31/2016 6:50 p.m.

Indeed what Fernandog says is what he understood.To solve it, I do some exercise/sport after breakfast, for example, I'm approximately 3/4, or soft running for half an hour at most, and I don't pass from 140/160 two hours after breakfast.The day I do not do this up to 200 or more.

runing50's profile photo
runing50
02/22/2017 10:04 a.m.

Miguel said:
hello everyone.
In case I could serve someone, I follow a topic that I discovered casually recently.It is not something exceptional, then I have read in the forums that happens to enough diabetics.
I am 57 years old, type II diabetic for four.As usual, I started with oral medication, and for some months I am also with the Lantus insulin, 12 units in the morning.Following a good diet and with exercise, I can maintain the controlled situation, although the typical "peaks" after some food are not lacking, as usually happens.
I had never measured in mid -morning.I get up at 7 hours, I have a level that ranges between 85 and 100. Therefore, I had breakfast and so confident to work.
But a few days ago I woke up with 130, and being higher than not normal I decided to take the meter to the office.I just had breakfast a yogurt and took seven or eight sugar cookies that I ate at 8 hours.Well, at 9.30 I was in 200. I thought it was something punctual, but no.After monitoring for several days it turns out that in the early morning, with a minimal proportion of food, the level is triggered at levels of 180 to 200. It doesn't matter what breakfast, I have tried everything, and always minimal amounts.And that I go a good stretch walking to work, although it is true that my activity is office, therefore there is little physical exercise.
They have not given me a concrete response of why this happens.But it is clear that the organism, after the rest of the night, is as if he received a message so that in the first hour, at the beginning of the activity, brutally transform the food into glucose.It seems that it also happens in that diabetes called gestational, of pregnancies.
So as this disease is so sacrificed, I have remedied it as follows: I am going without breakfast at all, some hunger is passed, but that remedy.From 7 to 9 am, nothing at all.And from 9 start to eat those cookies without sugar, very slowly, half cookie ... another half past 20 or 30 minutes ... thus spacing that little food until eleven in the morning.There are no descent problems in my case, that level of 90 to 100 in the morning, can lower something, about ten points, but nothing more.
And curiously, at half past twelve, I go out, I take a little vinito with a good snack (even tortilla or similar) and at that time it already behaves normally, climbing at most 110 or 120.
This is my experience that I transmire you in case it can be of interest to some.
Remember, as I said, that this is very sacrificed.So always and go ahead.There will be no missing moments, it is inevitable, but despite this burden that has come to us, life offers many good things, do not let yourself sink.I always say that these sacrifices have an award when we observe that our meter is at the level we like, and that will always be a reason for satisfaction.
A hug.

It is true that in the morning it is more complicated, I recommend you to consult your doctor.

DiabetesForo
10/17/2018 1:51 a.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.