Inhaled insulin

campanilla's profile photo   04/01/2013 12:24 p.m.

The inhaled insulin dream finally became a reality

.The United States Drug and Food Administration (Food and Drug Af -administration), FDA) approved the use of “exube” last year.Exubera is the first insulin inhaled in getting to the market and represents an excellent "non -invasive" alternative that replaces insulin injections.

After almost 20 years of scientific studies and research, since John T. Patton began working in the search for an insulin that could be inhaled, so that it can be absorbed by the blood without needing needles or syringes, it was finallyApproved by an FDA commission with 7-2 vote, for use in adults with diabetes both type 1 and type 2.

The insulin application "exubera" through an inhaler, will replace only the injections of the so -called rapid insulin, which is the insulin that is rapidly absorbed by the bloodstream and has an almost immediate peak of action.Fast insulin is used, for example, before meals to metabolize in the shortest possible time the glucose containing foods ingested in that meal and thus a better control can be obtained at glycemia levels (sugarin the blood).However "exubera" will not replace basal or long -lasting insulin, so people with type 1 diabetes will need to continue injected this type of insulin.

This new insulin administration system undoubtedly represents one of the most important advances for the treatment of diabetes, which will greatly help those with people with type 1 diabetes (insulin-dependent) that require multiple daily injections of rapid insulinMaintain an optimal control of its glycemia and glycosylated hemoglobin (HBA1C) levels.In the same way, inhaled insulin will be an excellent alternative in the treatment of those with type 2 diabetes who are indicated with insulin treatment but refuse to use it for fear of injections.

How inhaled insulin works

Inhaled insulin works producing a cloud of powdered insulin micro-particles that are absorbed by blood through pulmonary alveoli, through an inhaler very similar to those currently used for asthma treatment and other allergies.

Created by the company Nektar Therapeutics whose founder is John T, Patton, a prestigious scientist recognized for his research in protein and peptide management medicines.After many clinical studies and scientific research, it was demonstrated that the lungs offer the highest bio-divility for any "non-invasive" therapy and facilitate faster absorption in the bloodstream, compared to subcutaneous injections.

Recently, the complete information of clinical studies was presented that in this regard were being carried out for more than 7 years worldwide and where more than 3,000 diabetic patients who were treated with “exhubera” and the data presented demonstrated that this insulin demonstrated that this insulin showed that this insulinInhaled it is as effective as the injected insulin and superior to hypoglycemic or orals or pills that people with type 2 diabetes use, to reduce and maintain glycemia levels well controlled.

Possible side effects

During clinical studies some patients presented some side effects such as coughing, difficulty breathing, dry mouth and hypoglycemia episodes, so it is recommended to be very attentive to these symptoms and on the other hand to carefully monitor glycemia levels.

Additionally, many experts said they were worried because they have not been madeenough studies to verify the security of the use of exubera in diabetics with asthma, emphysema and other diseases related to the lungs and in those that are exposed daily to the smoke of the cigarette of family or friends who smoke.The main concern in this regard is due to the difficulty breathing that many patients presented after using exubera for several months.

The company promised to carry out a clinical study that will last 12 years to investigate in depth the possible and potential side effects and the danger that can represent the use of exubera in people who present a problem related to the lungs.This study will begin to be carried out as soon as exubera is market.

For this reason, exubera should not be used by people with asthma, emphysema or any other problem related to the lung until these studies are completed.Of course, people with diabetes who smoke cannot use this inhaled insulin.

Several experts stated that the FDA should also demand that the manufacturer that exubera includes a very complete training program in the use of this inhaled insulin, which is aimed at doctors and patients.

Final recommendations

Do not use inhaled insulin exubera if you smoke or have quit smoking less than 6 months ago.The use of exubera is not recommended in people with asthma, bronchitis or emphysema.

Clinical studies that will be carried out will verify the long -term security of exubera and examine their risks and effectiveness in people with lung diseases.Currently, exubera use is also not recommended in children and young people under 18 or in pregnant women.

Talking with your attending physician is the best way to know if exubera is a good option for you.

Inhaled insulin is expected to exuberate the market in the middle of this year.

The same as the other I have seen and I put it in information but I do not have the same if it will be true or not
A health

campanilla's profile photo
campanilla
04/01/2013 12:24 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Exubera came out in 2007
In the same year he retired from the market Link ... 07333.html

Design failure, marketing failure and many shades little clarified, more or less obvious, about repercussions on lung capacity.

Even so, the people I met that I used it were very satisfied ... of course you would have to check their glycosilada ...

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
04/01/2013 12:45 p.m.

I did not know that I had come out but surely at the time I would try to use it but we are going hard for something to be.
Thank you Owash for the information and consider.

campanilla's profile photo
campanilla
04/02/2013 5:54 a.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.