Possible failure in the ABBOTT Freestyle Insulinx meters

olmo's profile photo   05/07/2013 5:23 p.m.

I leave the link of this informative note for Freestyle Insulinx users of Abbott

Source: Link ... -insulinx/ >
Possible to obtain incorrect results with blood glucose meters Freestyle Insulinx

The Spanish Agency for Medicines and Health Products (AEMPS) has been informed by the ABBOTT pharmaceutical company of the possibility that users used by blood glucose meters Freestyle Insulinx can obtain incorrect results, which could suppose a delay in diagnosisand treatment of severe hyperglycemia or the administration of incorrect treatment.

The problem detected is that in the presence of blood glucose concentrations, extremely high, 1024 mg/dl or superiors, the result of blood glucose analysis that the Freestyle Insulinx meter shows and keeps in memory is 1024 mg/dllower than the measured result.That is, for example, when the blood glucose value is 1066 mg/dl, the meter will show and keep a value of 42 mg/dl (1066 mg/dl - 1024 mg/dl = 42 mg/dl).

ABBOTT has sent warning notes to patients and health centers that have these blood glucose meters to inform them of the problem detected, as well as the availability of a software update to solve it.To expand more information and see how to update the glucose meter software, you can access the following link:

Link ... meters.pdf

ATTENTION:
If you have an insulinx freestyle glucometer manufactured by
Abbott Diabetes Care:
1. Update the software of your glucose meter following the process
step by step that is available on the Abbott website

2. If you do not have the necessary elements to perform the
update of your glucose meter or if you have any questions, for
Please contact Abbott's customer service
Diabetes Care calling 900 838 118.

3. You can continue analyzing with your current Freestyle Meter
Insulinx until up to update the software.However, if you observe a
abnormally low result when you are experiencing
Symptoms of tiredness, it is thirst or is urinating a lot,
This low result may be due to an error in operation
of the glucometer.In this case, you must address a service of
Emergency to contact a healthcare professional.

olmo's profile photo
olmo
05/07/2013 5:23 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

It happened to me to comment this, which is the same that happens to Verio de Lifescan

I don't just understand this alert because all meters measure up to 600 mg/dl:-/
If you have more than 1000 mg/dl of glycemia, the strange thing is that you are standing and at home ...

I remember a case that I saw, very shocking, a hypermegadelgado, whitish boy, entered to urinate and then we saw that it was almost gelatin: x x
We sent it urgently to the hospital and then they told us that it had 1000 and glycemia peak in emergency doors ... tremendous, head UCI and in 10 days I think it recovered well ...

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
05/13/2013 1:11 p.m.

It also extracted me a lot that someone can reach those stratospheric values, that is no longer blood, it is glucose syrup :)
Thanks for the Owash clarification.

Greetings!

olmo's profile photo
olmo
05/13/2013 4:21 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.