Lada diabetes

fer's profile photo   07/19/2013 3:51 a.m.

About 20% of patients receive the diagnosis of type 2 diabetes. In some of those cases, the most accurate diagnosis would be Lada diabetes, also called 1.5.

The 3 most common types of diabetes: type 1 diabetes, type 2 diabetes and gestational diabetes, to which another series of varieties that fall into a different category are added, either because they are secondary to medications, other pathologies orBy defects in the function of the beta cell, the insulin producing cell.

Within these varieties is lada diabetes, or latent autoimmune diabetes of the adult for its acronym in English.

Not long ago, age was one of the most used predictors in the diagnosis of different types of diabetes.For something people under 30 years of age with diabetes used to have type 1 diabetes (justly called youth diabetes) and adult people had adult or adult diabetes.

Lada diabetes is type 1 diabetes but with a slower progression.

This has changed significantly with the appearance of type 2 diabetes at earlier ages.And also that scientists have identified more cases of type 1 diabetes in adult patients, which was previously very rare.

A simple way to define lada diabetes is to say that it is type 1 diabetes but with a slower progression.The destruction of beta cells by the immune system does not occur with the magnitude and speed of type 1 diabetes. Therefore, people with lada are often diagnosed as an atypical case of type 2 diabetes, without obesity or sedentary lifestyle.They may have little or no insulin resistance (classic in type 2 diabetes).
As this type of patients still has a good beta remnant working, responds well to oral hypoglycemic therapies and healthy diet.But after a few years its ability to produce insulin is finally nil.Then, a person with lada diabetes needs insulin injections on average long before a person with type 2 diabetes.

Having an appropriate diagnosis is fundamental because the management of the two conditions is different.Type 1 diabetes, diagnosed at any age, requires the application of exogenous insulin from the beginning, in a very fine regime, while people with type 2 diabetes sometimes do not need insulin for a long time, or can control it with only one injectionA day.

Therefore, it is recommended to doctors who take into account an Australian protocol that suggests that, compared to patients with type 2 diabetes, patients with lada diabetes have at least two of the following characteristics:

- Children under 50 at the time of diagnosis.
- Normal weight, with a body mass index less than 25.
- Classic symptoms at the time of diagnosis (intense thirst, frequent urine, unwanted weight loss).
- Personal history of another autoimmune disease (thyroid disease, rheumatoid arthritis or celiac disease).
- Family history of type 1 diabetes or other autoimmune diseases.

World statistics speak that about 20% of patients diagnosed with type 2 diabetes are really lad.

With a positive result of the antibody exam, the doctor can leave doubts.The same goes for a low peptide level C, a marker that reveals insulin production.

fer's profile photo
fer
07/19/2013 3:51 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Thanks, the information served me.

Lorelay's profile photo
Lorelay
11/01/2013 1:54 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Hi @Lorelay, if you have doubts, put questions in the category of "Diabetes questions", and we will try to clarify them!;-)

fer's profile photo
fer
11/02/2013 3:19 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

The existence of the peptide C in the blood is the footprint of the existence of beta cells that still work.Is it like that or not, Mr. Fer?If beta cells no longer work, could it be said and consequently that a DMT2 has become DMT1?

Erguiye's profile photo
Erguiye
02/03/2014 2:08 p.m.

Well, type1 is autoimmune and destroys all beta cells.It usually presents abruptly.But if there are no longer beta cells, the treatment is the same as with type1.It is already an insulin -dependent diabetes.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
02/03/2014 6:18 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

I am new in the forum and I am reading to catch up, and I have been funny to see this definition of the lad, I am a 1 of slow progression, and I think I did a great favor not accepting tablets, but a little of Lantus (8 points) every day.I had a reserve of 1.96 and the next Julio make it again.(Three years have passed since starting with this sugar).We will see how I have been doing it.On March 14 I will put a Dexcom, I think it will be an advance to control myself and learn how my body is working.I had many doubts about the economic issue but many foreros say it is worth it.So I throw myself into the pool.My we have always 5.8 approx, with a lot of sacrifice and dedication.

pochola's profile photo
pochola
02/26/2014 11:27 a.m.

DM1 desde 2011 8 puntos Lantus. Todo esfuerzo traerá su recompensa ♥ Hemo 5.7

Hello @pochola, so you can see where the evolution of your diabetes will go, better to take the bull by the horns and as soon as possible, although because of the hem you put, I see that you carry it very well, so I encourage !!And keep it up!

fer's profile photo
fer
02/26/2014 1:40 p.m.

Thanks Fer, for your spirits! I hope to continue improving, with the Dexcom and discover the forum I think it will help me a lot! We greet you here

pochola's profile photo
pochola
02/26/2014 2:09 p.m.

DM1 desde 2011 8 puntos Lantus. Todo esfuerzo traerá su recompensa ♥ Hemo 5.7

fer said:
about 20% of patients receive the diagnosis of type 2 diabetes. In some of those cases, the most precise diagnosis would be lada diabetes, also called 1.5.

The 3 most common types of diabetes: type 1 diabetes, type 2 diabetes and gestational diabetes, to which another series of varieties that fall into a different category are added, either because they are secondary to medications, other pathologies orBy defects in the function of the beta cell, the insulin producing cell.

Within these varieties is lada diabetes, or latent autoimmune diabetes of the adult for its acronym in English.

Not long ago, age was one of the most used predictors in the diagnosis of different types of diabetes.For something people under 30 years of age with diabetes used to have type 1 diabetes (justly called youth diabetes) and adult people had adult or adult diabetes.

Lada diabetes is type 1 diabetes but with a slower progression.

This has changed significantly with the appearance of type 2 diabetes at earlier ages.And also that scientists have identified more cases of type 1 diabetes in adult patients, which was previously very rare.

A simple way to define lada diabetes is to say that it is type 1 diabetes but with a slower progression.The destruction of beta cells by the immune system does not occur with the magnitude and speed of type 1 diabetes. Therefore, people with lada are often diagnosed as an atypical case of type 2 diabetes, without obesity or sedentary lifestyle.They may have little or no insulin resistance (classic in type 2 diabetes).
As this type of patients still has a good beta remnant working, responds well to oral hypoglycemic therapies and healthy diet.But after a few years its ability to produce insulin is finally nil.Then, a person with lada diabetes needs insulin injections on average long before a person with type 2 diabetes.

Having an appropriate diagnosis is fundamental because the management of the two conditions is different.Type 1 diabetes, diagnosed at any age, requires the application of exogenous insulin from the beginning, in a very fine regime, while people with type 2 diabetes sometimes do not need insulin for a long time, or can control it with only one injectionA day.

Therefore, it is recommended to doctors who take into account an Australian protocol that suggests that, compared to patients with type 2 diabetes, patients with lada diabetes have at least two of the following characteristics:

- Children under 50 at the time of diagnosis.
- Normal weight, with a body mass index less than 25.
- Classic symptoms at the time of diagnosis (intense thirst, frequent urine, unwanted weight loss).
- Personal history of another autoimmune disease (thyroid disease, rheumatoid arthritis or celiac disease).
- Family history of type 1 diabetes or other autoimmune diseases.

World statistics speak that about 20% of patients diagnosed with type 2 diabetes are really lad.

With a positive result of the antibody exam, the doctor can leave doubts.The same goes for a low peptide level C, a marker that reveals insulin production.

Fer thank you very much clarified doubts, tell you that I also have hypothyroidism.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
09/22/2015 5:40 p.m.

Curious,, this is how I discovered that it was diabetic - classic symptoms at the time of diagnosis (intense thirst, frequent urine, unwanted weight loss).
The urine was bestial ,,, I got to stay a whole night in the service urinating and urinated as if my bladder had no background ,,,,

xavi79's profile photo
xavi79
11/30/2015 10:49 p.m.

Erguiye said:
The existence of the peptide C in the blood is the footprint of the existence of some beta cells that still work.Is it like that or not, Mr. Fer?If beta cells no longer work, could it be said and consequently that a DMT2 has become DMT1?

Congratulations Fer.Very good explanation.

I don't know when this question is.The same has been answered to centuries elsewhere, but hey ...

Yeah.Peptide C indicates that there are still functioning betas.The beta cell synthesis a molecula that is proinsulin.Then this molecula is broken in C and insulin peptic.

Finding C -blood peptide is equivalent that the person still has the capacity to manufacture insulin by himself.

The second question is more difficult to answer.

Let's see, a person with DM II has all the right of the world to also make a dm and say that it would not be normal.

The normal thing is that a person with peripheral resistance to insulin over the years also has a certain fall in insulin production.

In many of them this fall will not be as important as to need external insulin contributions but in some cases that it would reach this point and the person will have to inject insulin.

In any case, in this person what predominates is peripheral resistance to insulin action and therefore remains a DM II that has needed insulin, but it is not a DM I.

In the DM i what there is is an abrupt and practically absolute disappearance of the production of insulin by the person and not a peripheral resistance to the action of this.

The type diabetics what we have (and let me include in this category, because although I am still under study, it looks like it will be diagnosed), because I said that what we have is a progressive and slow destruction of the Beta and Beta cellsTherefore of our ability to produce insulin.

We do not present peripheral resistance.That is why we start a progressive picture.We do not respond well to metformin and sulfonylureas are not a panacea.Finally we fall into the need for insulin.

We must suspect in any person who meets two or more criteria of those indicated by Fer (and naturally is not a DM i).And as soon as possible, the better.

Ignasi_p's profile photo
Ignasi_p
11/02/2017 2:31 p.m.

Abasaglar 25U (noche)
Novorapid 4/6/6 (y lo que caiga por enmedio)
Glicosilada (30/4/19): 6.5

I thought Lada was a car brand, until I was diagnosed.
Now I go with her everywhere, that is, more or less ...

Erty's profile photo
Erty
11/10/2017 3:01 p.m.

Hello.After a year with metformin, which I left due to lack of tolerance, and now Sitagliptin my gyrhad values ​​are in 6.8, but with 200 -night blood glucose controls.
I got my header to send me to the endocrine and I am waiting for antibody results to see what type of diabetes I really have.
My age is 43 years old, I am thin, I have an active life, I don't have high triglycerides or hypertension.Meet in the profile described for Lada.
I will have the results in December and I hope they serve for a treatment as appropriate as possible.At the moment I continue with diet, exercise and pills.
I will tell you.

Vicky Bu's profile photo
Vicky Bu
11/12/2017 7:39 a.m.

Diabetes 1 LADA desde enero 2018
Antes mal diagnosticada como Tipo 2
Toujeo y Humalog Junior
A1c: 6.0

Well yes.The turns that life gives.My first car was a lada and in the end I ended up being a lada.Sympathic the Rusito !!!

Ignasi_p's profile photo
Ignasi_p
11/14/2017 4:33 p.m.

Abasaglar 25U (noche)
Novorapid 4/6/6 (y lo que caiga por enmedio)
Glicosilada (30/4/19): 6.5

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.