They manage to produce insulin with stem cells

fer's profile photo   12/17/2013 5:13 a.m.

A team of Argentine doctors made pancreas cells again to produce insulin, which constitutes a key advance for the treatment of diabetes.

From stem cells from fat, experts created “Langerhans islets”, cluster cells of the pancreas, and reconstituted their insulin producing function and its complementary hormone, glucagon.

Diabetes is generated when the pancreas does not produce enough insulin or the body cannot use it effectively.The discovery was conducted by the Research Center in Fabric and Cell Therapies Engineering of the Maimonides University of Buenos Aires, dedicated to organ reconstruction to replace those that are missing or supply those who have some insufficiency.

The director, Gustavo Moviglia, explains that the importance of this achievement lies mainly that all the elements at stake can be obtained from the same patient who will be treated, thus complications or rejections derived from the transplants can be avoided ”which currently currentlyThey are practiced.

The investigation of the Argentines was based on the knowledge that a type of white blood cells, the lymphocytes, maintains certain characteristics of the layer that, when the human being is still an embryo, allows the development of the different organs and that aInflammatory process is directly related to repair and tissue regeneration.

The discovery consisted of seeing that a cell with inflammatory activity during the repair of an organ, if it is placed with a stem cell, makes it mature with the characteristics of the organ ."We put lymphocytes that favored inflammation in the pancreas, all from the same individual, facing a group of stem cells, and these began to differentiate themselves in line with that organ," explains Moviglia.

The next step was to know if adult stem cells from the same individual could be obtained, with two options: the ones from the bone marrow and those of the fat.The researchers concluded that the latter respond better to treatment. "In five days the cells had already been transformed and were actively producing insulin" .

According to the researcher, this speed is essential to allow massive treatment in the future, since currently organ generation models have a production period of three to six weeks.

”They have to be done within a very special environment, with very high costs.Time we save is time that is saved in costs and gives us the possibility that the treatment can become massive, ”he adds.

Until now, the only alternatives are cell treatments from bodies or pigs and the patient must undergo a medication regime so as not to reject the transplant.But the islet, which usually renews by itself, cannot be regenerated if it is so protected with drugs and has a limited duration, so the treatment, which in the United States exceeds even $ 300,000, must be repeated every two years, a problemthat would be solved if generated with elements of the individual.

Buenos Aires (EFE).

fer's profile photo
fer
12/17/2013 5:13 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

I don't know how to comment on this news anymore ... :( today I got up pessimistic ...
Many discoveries, but then stay in limbo ...

INTRUSA's profile photo
INTRUSA
12/17/2013 5:25 a.m.

DM1 desde 1991
Bombera desde el 22/07/2013
Última hemo 30/10/2014 --> 6,1%

I say the usual ... we are going to take advantage of the advances we have at this time and they continue to investigate ... I do not have my hopes deposited in that, much less.If one day arrives, welcome.So I do not get frustrated.Fortunately I have evolved to the latest technology at our service.We started with premixes and quickly asked for the change to Lantus.We used Lantus but I already had my next clear objective, the insulin bomb.In a few months Angela already used a bomb and a while later I was complementing it with the continuous meter ... and until there I can read.

Velia's profile photo
Velia
12/17/2013 5:33 a.m.

De los buenos tiempos, siempre quiero más...
Mamá de Ángela, ¡16 añitos, fiera!. Debut: octubre de 2003.
Bomba insulina Medtronic Paradigm Veo desde junio 2005
Última hemo 6.1

I think the same as Velia (how strange, no? He ...) I don't think the definitive cure arrives, at least soon, so what interests me is all the advances that improve the quality of life .....

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
12/17/2013 6:40 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Well, I think the same as Velia and Prado, if we already have a lot of experience in the subject ... hahaa
I also comfort myself that we can get good control with the media we have now and that they will continue to improve.
The investigations that follow their course, but will not arrive tomorrow, there are still many problems to solve.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
12/17/2013 10:48 a.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

I do believe that they are going to find the cure for diabetes one day, what I do not know is if I will see it ... as far as they are concerned, with which they will stop put *** with the strips every month, andIt would be happy.

ROAR's profile photo
ROAR
12/18/2013 12:54 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

With a non -invasive or minimally invasive continuous meter and a tiny pump without catheter, and let's not say anything if it is automatic, we would be happy.And it's not so difficult.They don't have that because they are not interested yet.
It is what gives most, the business they have with us.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
12/18/2013 5:26 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.