Journey to America

lucuen's profile photo   01/12/2014 7:21 a.m.

Hello everyone,
The first thing to introduce myself, I am Lucia Diabetica Type 1 for 16 years.Until recently I was afraid of traveling but one day I decided and I already know some country in Europe, but this year I am thinking of going to the US, Canada and Riviera Maya.I know that I have to take in my hand luggage feathers, needles, glucometer, strips and glucagon in addition to the Spanish-Spanish medical justification of my endocrine and some food to combat hypoglycemia.So far everything perfect, but I am worried about one thing, such as getting insulin (it would be a remote possibility since I plan to take quantity more than enough) in these countries that have the ones I use (I have been confirmed by the associations of the threecountries).I mean that in Spain I need a medical recipe and although I plan to hire travel insurance, I am not sure if the medical care they cover includes facilitating a recipe for an already pre -existing disease.I hope someone can help me because I'm somewhat worried.Thank you very much in advance.All the best!!

lucuen's profile photo
lucuen
01/12/2014 7:21 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Hopefully I manage it I recommend the Riviera Maya and if you can visit Xcaret it would be great, do not regret it, I am from Mexico and it is magical, greetings

danzonero's profile photo
danzonero
01/12/2014 5:30 p.m.

Hello, they look!
How long do you plan to be out?

INTRUSA's profile photo
INTRUSA
01/13/2014 6:01 a.m.

DM1 desde 1991
Bombera desde el 22/07/2013
Última hemo 30/10/2014 --> 6,1%

Well, be lucky.
I have never traveled through those places, but I can think of advice, which I suppose it will have already occurred to you, but just in case.Try to distribute insulin feathers, strips, etc., separately between bags, suitcases, etc.In this way, if a luggage is lost, that you do not miss all the material together.
A hug.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
01/13/2014 8:30 a.m.

Thanks for the answers, I will be about 17 days intrusive, Miguel, if I had thought about it, is a good advice but the doubt of how to get it, is still among my concerns.
Thanks Danzonero, surely I don't disappoint me,
Greetings,

lucuen's profile photo
lucuen
01/13/2014 10:33 a.m.

Hi @lucuen,

Here a few threads on the subject of traveling with diabetes, I hope they serve you!

Travel to the US - Diabetes • Diabetes Forum
Good morning, I am an insulinopente diabetic, currently treated with insulin pump.In June I will travel to New York and the truth is a bit lid with him ...
Link
Tips for traveling with diabetes - experiences with diabetes ...
Traveling with diabetes is also, it is only necessary to plan the trip taking into account some particularities and follow some recommendations ...
Link
Travel in plane and well far - experiences with diabetes ...
Hello everyone, I just registered in this forum and scheme within a month I will make a trip to Punta Cana and it is the first time I travel since I have ...
Link

Greetings,

fer's profile photo
fer
01/13/2014 1:42 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

They look, my advice is that you take what you need and reserve, I don't think you need a pharmacy ...
I have been in Orlando, Miami, Ny and Riviera Maya and I have done what I tell you, take away and without problems.
Wherever you go, happiness

INTRUSA's profile photo
INTRUSA
01/13/2014 7 p.m.

DM1 desde 1991
Bombera desde el 22/07/2013
Última hemo 30/10/2014 --> 6,1%

Intruda Thank you very much, I will take leftovers but you know the peace of mind of knowing that you can get it in the remote case of needing it, any advice for the trip?We share several destinations to see if there is something you think I have to know, it is the first time I leave Europe and I am between nervous and anxious hehe !!Thank you very much, greetings

lucuen's profile photo
lucuen
01/14/2014 3:25 p.m.

Fer thank you very much for the threads I will take a look !!

lucuen's profile photo
lucuen
01/14/2014 3:28 p.m.

Hello everyone,

In case you can help you, I have contacted the Mexican, Canadian and American Diabetes Association:
Link
Link
Link

Here the contact appears and I have asked them about whether there is my kind of insulin in your country and whether or not you can buy without a medical recipe.I have been lucky since in the three countries I could get my insulin (in the US it is marketed with another name but my endocrine has confimed me what mine), and in case of Mexico and Canada there is no need for a medical recipe if notThat it is bought in pharmacies directly, however in the US if a medical recipe is needed to buy it in the pharmacy.

I hope someone serves the information.

Greetings!

lucuen's profile photo
lucuen
01/18/2014 11:20 a.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.