Google's new 'wearable' is a contact lens for diabetics

farstar's profile photo   01/17/2014 3:49 a.m.

Google Glass was only the beginning.The future of wearable devices not only happens in the imaginary of those of Mountain View for augmented reality devices, but also by tiny direct communication devices with some of the most delicate parts of our physiognomy to improve our quality of life;Exactly the purpose of your new contact lenses for diabetes patients.With them, Google opens a path parallel?to his calic project, with which he hopes to increase the life expectancy of the human being.

Thanks to the latest advances in miniaturization of electronic components, lenses developed by Google will allow diabetics to control their blood glucose levels without needles or analysis kits.All they need is the direct contact of a sensor and its associated wireless chip, distributed in layers.The lenses send the corresponding notifications to external devices using an ultra -reduced consumption radius antenna, but Google is already thinking about the possibility of embedding tiny colored LEDs to warn the user in case of emergency.

Google lenses remind those advanced by the University of Western Ontario back in 2009, although there is no mention that the company has collaborated with the researchers of the Canadian center.

The project, which has been developed in Google X's secret laboratories, the Google Advanced R&D Department, is not yet mature enough to start its commercialization, but enough to get the attention of possible companiesinterested in helping in their development.Google is currently looking for partners with more experience in the medical industry in order to materialize such a unique device, while maintaining conversations with the United States authorities to accelerate its possible implementation.

Source: Link

farstar's profile photo
farstar
01/17/2014 3:49 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Milk!

aaandres's profile photo
aaandres
01/17/2014 5:41 a.m.

Padre de Andrés, 17 años. Debut: septiembre de 2011.
Levemir (30ud. mañana y 24ud. noche) y Novorapid (en desayuno, comida, merienda y cena 40ud aprox - 24HC/día).
Medidor continuo DEXCOM G4 desde julio 2014
Hemo: 6.2 (Sept. 2013), 7.0 (Dic. 2013), 6.9 (Marzo 2014), 6,6 (Junio 2014), 6,7 (Sept. 2014), 7,0 (Dic. 2014), 7,7 (Mar 2015), 6,9 (Jul. 2015), 7,0 (Sept 2015), 7,4 (Dic 2015), 6,8 (Mar 2016), 6,6 (Julio 2016), 6,8 (Octubre2016)... 7,0 (Mar 2018)

Impressive ... I hope it's a reality soon!;-)

fer's profile photo
fer
01/17/2014 10:09 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Amazed I stay

lucuen's profile photo
lucuen
01/18/2014 11:04 a.m.

It is time for us to have a non -invasive meter, and that the strips business is over .., but that is the problem ..

Regina's profile photo
Regina
01/18/2014 11:26 a.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

What the experts say:

"Continuous glucose monitoring, either in a blood vessel, tears or any other place in the human body, is still based on a glucose sensor that consumes a reagent every time a glucose reading is taken. That is why that's whyThat conventional reactive strips are only good for a single reading.

How many readings could the contact lenses obtain from a sensor before the reagent has been exhausted, and the lens must be replaced, especially if the performance of a reading per second is realistic?Once per hour?Once a day?Google reports show a suspicious silence about this issue, with the exception of a comment about the need to "improve the sensor's life" in the IEEE document.

The challenge is to develop a glucose sensor that does not consume reagents and that can continually monitor the glucose level without exhausting a stored reagent.Everything else is smoke. "Al Gordon (islet.org)

I believed that continuous sensors worked differently.

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
01/18/2014 1:47 p.m.

En 1922 descubrieron la insulina, en 1930 la insulina lenta. ¿Que c*** han hecho desde entonces?

Dexcom's sensors have lasted more than 4 sins, and took them away not because they will not work but because I was afraid to take some infection ... if the slows last a week it would not be bad ... everything depending on the price ...

I do not know how to developed they will have this project, but if someone can with the pharmaceuticals and the strips business it is a so -like company Gordaaaa, we do not know if Google can make a lot of blackmail ... I hope this project comes to something!

tica's profile photo
tica
01/19/2014 8:39 a.m.

Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro
DM1 desde 1988
Mamá de 2 niños y a la espera del tercero
Bomba + Dexcom

The challenge is to find the cure and stop profiting with the chronification of diseases.

ROAR's profile photo
ROAR
01/19/2014 4:30 p.m.

Roar, you are right but it gives me that this is not very interesting and therefore Google would join the car of those who take one more pot to sell us.Come on, more of the same ..

ajd's profile photo
ajd
01/21/2014 12:06 p.m.

More of the same, no.
If this came true, it would be non -invasive and without additional devices.That is, a clear advance (although not a cure, of course).

aaandres's profile photo
aaandres
01/21/2014 12:49 p.m.

Padre de Andrés, 17 años. Debut: septiembre de 2011.
Levemir (30ud. mañana y 24ud. noche) y Novorapid (en desayuno, comida, merienda y cena 40ud aprox - 24HC/día).
Medidor continuo DEXCOM G4 desde julio 2014
Hemo: 6.2 (Sept. 2013), 7.0 (Dic. 2013), 6.9 (Marzo 2014), 6,6 (Junio 2014), 6,7 (Sept. 2014), 7,0 (Dic. 2014), 7,7 (Mar 2015), 6,9 (Jul. 2015), 7,0 (Sept 2015), 7,4 (Dic 2015), 6,8 (Mar 2016), 6,6 (Julio 2016), 6,8 (Octubre2016)... 7,0 (Mar 2018)

Yes, it is more of the same because although it is not invasive, it would have to change it as every x days, because the same as now.
That Google's are not dumb, they get on the car like everyone else.
I have been waiting for 33 years and I click like the first day, that is, more of the same.

ajd's profile photo
ajd
01/22/2014 12:15 p.m.

AJD, but it would be a very big advance.A lentilla is not the same as a meter of those there.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
01/22/2014 7:09 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)

But if then all these inventions do not reach us through social security we are the same, or do you all can pay you from your volume all these advances are better or worse?

ajd's profile photo
ajd
01/23/2014 10:54 a.m.

Well, you can be cheaper than the strips and enter the SS.The important thing is that a non -invasive and reliable meter comes forward.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
01/23/2014 11:11 a.m.

Well, in spite of everything I do not believe anything until I see it with my own eyes because here in the forum there are many news of possible advances that I have not seen or believe that I see in person unless I steal a bank forpay them.I'm sorry.

ajd's profile photo
ajd
01/24/2014 11:48 a.m.

From everything I read in this forum I deduce that diabetics are (we are) negative to progress.All are lies, everything is business.On the contrary, I sign up for any novelty in medicines, treatments, inventions although with some skepticism.I will wait for the invention to be marketed and then we talk.

Erguiye's profile photo
Erguiye
01/25/2014 7:32 a.m.

Hi @erguiye, I would say that we are skeptical, news of new news appears, but they rarely arrive quickly to users, other times they try to fool ourselves with miraculous priests, etc ...

In my opinion, it is reasonable to be skeptical, and although it is good to be informed of the novelties, they must be taken prudence and verify before throwing themselves into the pool.;-)

fer's profile photo
fer
01/25/2014 7:40 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.