Researchers discover a protein that protects against diabetes

fer's profile photo   10/19/2015 11:05 a.m.

Valencia, Oct 18 (EFE) .- Scientists of the Health Research Institute of the Clinical Hospital of Valencia-Incliva, have shown that CDK5A/2B genes protect against insulin resistance and fatty liver.

The investigation, directed by Dr. Herminia González and carried out by the inflammation research group, has been published in the International BBA, Molecular Basis of Diseases and

As explained by Dr. González, "the project has its origin in its own preceding studies in which reduced levels of the IRS2 gene were associated to the development of insulin resistance in subjects with metabolic syndrome."

From there they decided to study in a genetically modified mouse model, which develops insulin resistance caused by a defect in insulin signage.

In this animal model it was observed that the overexpression of these CDK2A/2B genes improves the functioning of glucose metabolism, reduces insulin resistance and inflammation and protects against the development of fatty liver.

"The results have allowed us to launch a second phase. In this, the interaction of these two genes is being investigated in patients," said Herminia González.

According to the researchers, "if the results are confirmed, a therapeutic route is opened based on the modulation of these genes in order to reduce insulin resistance and diabetes associated with it."

Diabetes is a chronic disease in which the body cannot regulate the amount of blood sugar as a result of a malfunction of the pancreas, which does not correctly secrete insulin (which is the hormone that controls blood sugar).In Spain it is estimated that 12% of the population suffers from type 2 diabetes.

The importance of this disease is due not only to its high prevalence, but also to the devastating chronic complications that causes, at its high mortality rate and the enormous cost of national health systems.

fer's profile photo
fer
10/19/2015 11:05 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

You don't know what I am glad (and you, sure) of all this news that comes out of disease research.

pike's profile photo
pike
10/19/2015 1:17 p.m.

DM1 desde 2015-Novorapid 2/2/2/2-Toujeo(en proceso)-Mañana
Glucosilada 4/2017: 7,2

This is @pike!;)

fer's profile photo
fer
10/19/2015 1:43 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

This type of nocitic always demands prudence, but they are good.The genes mentioned in the document are genes that are studied in biology and medicine careers.If I remember correctly, CDK regulates the cell cycle and the family of IRS genes are those that regulate the expression of insulin receptors.

I am impatient to know the adverse effects of CDK therapy, because the deregulation of the cell cycle can be a problem.It reminds me of the research they are doing with the FGF protein (a FGF family protein, which are factors that stimulate the growth of fibroblasts), which I am also following very closely because my greatest fear is that they produce fibroblast overrements.

There are many lines of work, I think we are entering a few years of great research.

joejunior's profile photo
joejunior
10/19/2015 6:03 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Caray!, @Joejunior seems that you know well what you are talking about, you would have to concentrate @con_q_de_quimica, between the two you can teach us !!!;): P

fer's profile photo
fer
10/19/2015 7:05 p.m.

Hahaha I don't know ... Well look, I just made a mistake, because now my embryo books was consulted when I was a student, and notice that although the FGF family has a part of proteins that stimulate the growth of fibroblasts, not allThey do it and simply kept the name by agreement: =).

By the way @fer, I see that you are always at the foot of the cannon even with news for DM2 despite being type 1. This is a desire for knowledge !!

joejunior's profile photo
joejunior
10/19/2015 7:14 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

:)) :)) :)) :)) Thank youcoming a solution for us and knowledge does not take place!;)

fer's profile photo
fer
10/19/2015 7:17 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.