Scientific Research - La Vanguardia Prize for Science (Diabetes)

mcm's profile photo   01/27/2014 2:32 p.m.

Good afternoon everyone,

Forgive that I am new in the forum, but I have thought it is convenient to register to share the news.

As a diabetic for more than 10 years, I have been following the research carried out by Dr. Fatima Bosch of the Autonomous University of Barcelona.As some of you will have been able to cure diabetes in dogs through gene therapy in a single dose.These have not needed insulin and have not had complications related to the disease since then, and that they were treated 5 years ago.

I think it is one of the most hopeful therapies, because they have been able to move what had already been previously achieved in mice (the same group) to larger beings such as dogs and hopefully in the future to humans.This has been a big step, since not always proven therapies in mice can be climbed.

Yesterday the Science Prize came out at the forefront, which is awarded to the work of the year that has been investigated in Spain.I think this is a clear example of the science class that must be done and above our home.As a diabetic I will give my support, since from my point of view they deserve it, and I hope we encourage you to continue fighting to try to cure the disease.

I leave the link in case someone else in the forum believes convenient to support Dr. Bosch and her team:

Link

For those who did not see the news of the treatment of dogs I leave you the link of the university where it is studied:

Link

Greetings,

Manolo

mcm's profile photo
mcm
01/27/2014 2:32 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

"Cure", blessed word ...

Leave dogs alone, I introduce myself volunteer!

ROAR's profile photo
ROAR
01/27/2014 2:39 p.m.

:)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :))

@roar, you are a brave one! Although what you say is true, hopefully people arrive soon!;-)

fer's profile photo
fer
01/27/2014 2:45 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Who was a chucho !!!:-))

ROAR's profile photo
ROAR
01/27/2014 4:38 p.m.

Thanks for the news, CMC.Gene therapy has a great future.I hope let's see it.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
01/27/2014 6:57 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

We commented here for a year:

.Diabetesforo.com/discussion/9053/researchers-of-la-u-curan-la-diabetes-type-1-in-perros#item_8

And they already made sure that the vector they used to put the gene to the dogs were totally useless in the people, lest they go to heal a diabetic by mistake.That would be terrible, imagine all the money that the poor pharmaceuticals would be lost in insulin and strips !!!!

Moreover, after healing those dogs 4-5 years ago, they said they would devote themselves to other dog breeds and then played, I would work with pigs.It is seen that humans with diabetes are not in a hurry.

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
01/28/2014 9:42 a.m.

En 1922 descubrieron la insulina, en 1930 la insulina lenta. ¿Que c*** han hecho desde entonces?

Sherpa, these investigations are independent of pharmacists.They are made in universities or research centers subsidized with public money.
Before applying it in humans, they have to make sure that there are no side effects that would be much worse than diabetes.
Finding a safe treatment will take your time, because it is also true that pharmacists only finance investigations that names them.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
01/28/2014 12:05 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)

By the way there is an interesting interview at the forefront of this Saturday 1/2/2014

Fà Tima Bosch: "Gene therapy can improve the treatment of diabetes"
Fàtima Bosch, director of the Center for Animal Biotechnology and Gènica Teràpia

When Fàtima Bosch began her first project as director of a research group in 1990, she decided to set an ambitious objective.It was proposed to cure diabetes.A difficult goal, certainly, but it didn't seem impossible.

For 24 years it has tried multiple strategies.Since type 1 diabetes is because the pancreas does not produce insulin, it tried to produce the liver.It was not enough.As with the liver it was not enough, he tried to act on the muscle.It was not enough either.He tried to replace insulin with glycoquinase.Neither...

After more than twenty years alternating joys and disappointments, advancing by trial and error, he has finally put a gene therapy that has successfully treated diabetes in dogs.Its next great objective is to extend therapy to people so that they can control their diabetes without having to inject insulin.

How has you managed to control diabetes in dogs?
We have administered two genes, that of insulin and glycoquinase.Together they act as a sensor that effectively and safely regulates the level of glucose (or sugar) in the blood.

Why do the insulin gene need?
It is the missing hormone in type 1 diabetes makes the glucose that circulates in the blood be captured by the cells to be used as energy.

And that of glycoquinase?
It allows control of the blood glucose level faster and more precise than if we only use insulin.Glucoquinase increases glucose capture by cells after eating.But when the glucose level decreases, glycoquinase becomes inactive.It acts as a security mechanism.

How have the dogs that have received the treatment responded?
We have treated a dozen diabetic Beagle dogs.Gene therapy has worked in all.They were dogs that were very sick and now are fine.They have recovered vitality and have a good control of blood glucose in both fasting and after eating, and both when they are still and when they do intense physical activity.

How is a gene therapy administered?
We have injected the genes into the muscles of the rear legs.We act on the muscle because 70% of the glucose that circulates in the blood after having ingested food is captured by the muscles.

How often do you have to repeat the injections?
It is not necessary to repeat them, only once enough!The first dog we treat received gene therapy more than six years ago and continues to perfectly control its glucose level.

Has he surprised that the effects are so durable?
The truth is not.Think that muscle cells are not divided once the fibers have formed.They last for many years.Therefore, if we introduce genes into these cells, they can stay there acting in the long term.

How does it do it for genes to reach the core of the cells where they should act?
We use what we call viral vectors.These are viruses to which their own genes have been removed and we have introduced the genes of insulin and glycoquinase.Since they have the natural ability to enter the cells.We use them as vehicles.

Can they cause infections?
No, because the original genetic material of the virus is no longer.

And could they cause some kind of cancer?
No, because the genetic material we introduce is not integrated into the DNA of the cell.It is floating in the nucleus.It is a very safe therapy.

What is missing for diabetic people to benefit from this advance?
The next step of researchIt will consist of rehearsing therapy in company dogs.So far we have tried it in experimentation dogs that weigh about ten kilos.From now on we have to administer it in diabetic dogs of up to 70 kilos like Rottweilers.

Couldn't they go directly to people?
No, because we have to establish the dose with the maximum possible precision before moving to people.That is why we need to rehearse the therapy in a dog that weighs more or less as a person.

Wouldn't it be better to start with a low dose in people and in any case increase it later?
I have received many letters from patients offered as volunteers to rehearse gene therapy.But these types of essays can only be approved if there are expectations that existing diabetes treatments will improve.To do this, we must establish the dose before asking for authorization for the essay in people.

Have any pharmaceutical company showed interest in bringing this therapy to patients?
There are several that are interested.Gene therapy can improve the treatment of diabetes, and also other genetic diseases, and in the last twenty months the biopharmaceutical industry has invested 300 million euros in gene therapy.Now there is a huge interest in this research area.

Link

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
02/03/2014 3:56 a.m.

En 1922 descubrieron la insulina, en 1930 la insulina lenta. ¿Que c*** han hecho desde entonces?

Thanks for posting the news.I just wrote offering me voluntary for when they do the rehearsals in humans, and I have also called to participate in it:

Link

I think that that diabetics are asked, the "acceptance of the disease" is something that has a very negative side: can we not dream of a better life?It is good to accept that things are like this today and you have to take care of yourself and do your best, but tomorrow it will be another day and, maybe, tomorrow will be a better day for us, why not?With people like Dr. Fatima Bosch everything is possible.

ROAR's profile photo
ROAR
02/03/2014 5:55 a.m.

Well, don't you do not costweiler ...

And what I see reading the interview is that they take it very calmly.

As if there were no millions of people, having bad, young children with supercomplicated lives by diabetes, superangusticated parents, many other people about to be blind, cojas, who fail their kidneys or even about to die because of diabetes.And they may have the cure for all those people who are suffering horrors and dedicate themselves to waiting for 6 years !!!!There with the puppies and with a treatment that consists of a single injection, to "find the correct dose."

I sincerely do not understand it at all, who is the one who slows this so that it is so desperately slow?It gives a lot of anger.

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
02/03/2014 3:15 p.m.

Link

This documentary talks about some channels that have made USA and the pharmaceutical industry in general.In the 19:35, the requirements to be able to experiment with humans are explained.

ROAR's profile photo
ROAR
02/04/2014 5:54 p.m.

If you are interested there is a recent interview of the Madrid Diabetics Association:

Link

Manolo

mcm's profile photo
mcm
02/13/2014 4 a.m.

Link

"In one or two years we can test gene therapy against diabetes in company dogs ... Controls on gene therapy are tremendously exhaustive; especially when there is already an effective treatment for diabetes"

Ves @Fer as it is true that if there was no insulin treatment everything would be much faster.In addition, that effective treatment ... It shows that those who investigate are not diabetic.

I think that the problem of type1 diabetes is that we always try to give an public image that nothing happens, that we carry it superb, that with insulin we already controlled perfectly and then of course, so that hurrying to get anything better.

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
02/13/2014 7:25 p.m.

Roar, keep us informed of that new treatment with LPG1 that begins with this spring.Thank you!

Regina's profile photo
Regina
02/13/2014 8:14 p.m.

Sherpa41 I agree with you that the existence of insulin has not favored us too much: better a cure than a slave life.In addition, not all diabetics have the same resources or the same control or the same problems, so taking out a super athlete with a pump and continuous meter and without problems and saying that "with diabetes everything can be done" for me is insulting.

Regina, if they take me for that study I will keep you informed ;-)
The last thing I have read about LPG-based therapies is that they increase the risk of pancreatitis, although it applies to type 2:

Link

ROAR's profile photo
ROAR
02/15/2014 8:34 a.m.

It also makes me angry, that image that the general public has that since the appearance of insulin type 1 diabetes is almost overcome.

Most people who do not know diabetics are thought that with a pichazo a day and not eat sugar, everything is controlled, and if we have problems it is because we do not.I is what I imagined before being and that I already had a distant relative with DM1 and with problems, and my parents told me that it would be because it fed up buns and did not punctuate,

But when I touch me and I saw the immense shit it was, and how a slave it is, the treatment for this disease, my soul fell to the ground.

What best defines this disease, for me, were drawings in the health world of a huge insulin syringe where a diabetic had locked inside as if it were a jail (but without it).That and another image of a diabetic walking along a tightrope with a lot of danger where on one side of the bar held was the sugar low and in another hyperglycemia.

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
02/15/2014 10:15 a.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.