{'en': "Diabetes, a 'blessing' for Juan Neri", 'es': "Diabetes, una 'bendición' para Juan Neri"} Image

Diabetes, a 'blessing' for Juan Neri

fer's profile photo   11/20/2015 1:30 p.m.

Don Juan is 74 years old, is a man like any other, but with the value and willpower of few.His desire to live and enjoy life in a healthy way are stronger than diabetes, with which he has lived for nine years.

The disease came to Don Juan without even imagining it.Nothing hurt, I had no problems;I only had overweight.It was when he decided to go with a nutritionist from the Mexican Social Security Institute (IMSS), and before submitting him to a food plan, he asked for some analysis, which revealed that he had diabetes.

The Lord lowered 15 kilograms and is currently in his ideal weight.He says he eats better, he exercises every day and, rather than seeing him as something negative, his diagnosis of diabetes was a "blessing."

“For me it is a blessing diabetes, because my life changed completely.I went down about 15 kilos, ate healthier and learned the management of emotions;The diet is difficult and the exercise also: I swim every day. ”

He is part of a mutual aid group in the Diabetimsss program of the Family Medicine Unit (UMF) 178 of the IMSS Jalisco, where he even offers talks to newly diagnosed patients with this disease.

Complications for this disease are the main cause of death in Jalisco.The State Ministry of Health reported that during 2014, on average 15 people died up to date on the wake of this condition, and this year, there is an approximate count of five thousand 758 deaths by diabetes.

The most difficult, change of habits

When a person is diagnosed with diabetes, the acceptance process has several stages, and one of them is to adapt to comprehensive treatment.

Although, at first people respond correctly to take the medication that will regulate glucose, the most difficult is to convince him to change his eating habits, physical activity and life in general.

The head of social work of the UMF 178 of the IMSS Jalisco, Silvia Vázquez Lomelí, said that it has been shown that who has good medical control and a support network, has better results in the change of habits and attachment to treatment.

In 2008, the IMSS implemented the Diabetimss pilot program, in the UMF178, before the growing wave of diabetes patients.

“The diabetic patient needs four pillars in their control: the doctor, the modification of eating habits, physical activity and emotional control.For a patient, taking the medication is a difficult part, but asking him to modify his habits that he has had throughout his life, it is difficult. ”

fer's profile photo
fer
11/20/2015 1:30 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.