{'en': 'Type 1 diabetes: an immunotherapy exceeds safety tests', 'es': 'Diabetes tipo 1: una inmunoterapia supera los ensayos de seguridad'} Image

Type 1 diabetes: an immunotherapy exceeds safety tests

fer's profile photo   11/27/2015 10:49 p.m.

This is indicated by the results of an investigation led by American scientists and doctors who have been published in Science Translational Medicine.

An immunotherapy for type 1 diabetes has exceeded phase I of clinical trials.The results of the research, led by American scientists and doctors, have been published in Science Translational Medicine.The achievements harvested in the oncological field by these types of strategies could be extended to diabetes.

The therapy has been safe and the infused cells to the 14 patients who participated in the essay survived for at least a year.The team led by immunologist Jeffrey Bluestone, from the University of California in San Francisco, plans to initiate Phase II soon.

Jeffrey Bluestone, from the University of California in San Francisco.(USCF)

The strategy was based on the adoptive transfer of regulators T lymphocytes (TREG) to people with recent -initial type 1 diabetes.That is, the cells were extracted from the blood of the patients, treated in the laboratory and reintroduced in the body of the patients.

The lymphocytes prepared for the transfer showed an augmented activity compared to those not treated, which would constitute a sample of their repair potential of the poor immune response of type 1 diabetes. The objective is that these cells stop the destruction of cellsbeta keeping intact the response of the immune system against infections.

No adverse effects
For now, what has been achieved is that transferred cells, in addition to persisting in the long term, do not generate any adverse complication or effect related to treatment.

Researchers believe that this method could be combined with other immunotherapies aimed at stimulating the activity of the TREG to treat type 1 diabetes.

"The treatment of type 1 diabetes has traditionally been based on the administration of immunosuppressive drugs, but this trial gives us a new way of moving forward. With the use of TREG cells to re -educate the immune system we could be able to change the courseFrom this disease, "Bluestone concluded.

fer's profile photo
fer
11/27/2015 10:49 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

I get it or not, people who fight to eradicate this problem have all my thanks and all my respect.

ROAR's profile photo
ROAR
11/28/2015 4:51 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Hi @Fer !!I don't know if you read this.I think it has a little to do with what you say.

Link

Enma's profile photo
Enma
11/30/2015 12:13 p.m.

Diabética tipo 3
Mamá de Iago (14 años)
Lantus 25 uds
Apidra a demanda
Freestyle libre
@enma

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.