Related sleep apnea and diabetes

fer's profile photo   06/10/2014 6:56 a.m.

In the greatest study to date on the relationship between sleep apnea and diabetes, made with more than 8,500 Canadian patients, it has been shown that there is a relationship between the obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) and the development of diabetes, whatconfirming the earliest evidence of this relationship that had been obtained in minor studies and with shorter monitoring periods.

"Our study, with a larger sample size and an average follow -up of 67 months was able to address some of the limitations of previous studies on the relationship between the obstructive apnea of ​​sleep and diabetes," said the main author TetyanaKendzerska, from the University of Toronto."We found that among patients with obstructive sleep apnea, the initial severity of the disease predicted the consequent risk for the development of diabetes."

The findings were published online before the publication printed in the journal of the American Thoracan Society American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine.

Sleep apnea and slight renal failure increase the risk of diabetes

The study included 8,678 adults suspected of sleep apnea without diabetes at the beginning of the study that underwent a diagnostic dream study between 1994 and 2010 and were followed until May 2011. From provincial administrative data of provincial health, it was examinedThe incidence of diabetes.

The severity of the sleep apnea was evaluated with the Apnea-hypopnea index (IAH), indicating gravity based on the number of apneas (complete cessation of air flow) and hypopneas (partial cessation of air flow)sleep time.Patients were classified as not having an Osa (IAH & LT; 5), or have slight (IAH 5-14.9), moderate (there 15-30) or severe (IAH & GT; 30).

During the follow -up, 1,017 (11.7%) patients developed diabetes.In the analyzes, they were adjusted by known risk factors for diabetes, including age, sex, body mass index, neck circumference, smoking, income level and comorbidity (diabetes associated with diabetes) at the beginning of the study.They discovered that:

patients with an IAH & GT;30 had 30% more risk of developing diabetes than those with an IAH & Lt; 5.
Patients with mild or moderate renal insufficiency of sleep had 23% more risk of developing diabetes.
Other risk factors for diabetes include IAh in rapid sleeping eyes and measurements of the physiological consequences of sleep apnea, including oxygen deaturation, lack of sleep and activation of the sympathetic nervous system, as indicated as it indicatesA higher average frequency of the heart during sleep.

Significant association between diabetes risk and sleep apnea
"After adjusting for other possible causes, we have been able to demonstrate a significant association between the severity of sleep apnea and the risk of developing diabetes," said Dr. Kendzerska.

“Our findings that the prolonged oxygen desaturation, the shortest sleep time and a greater heart rate and that were associated with diabetes are consistent with the pathophysiological mechanisms that it is believed that the basis of the relationship between sleep apnea anddiabetes."

The study had some limitations, such as the lack of data on some possible factors, including family history of diabetes and race, and the possible erroneous classification of some subjects, due to the limitations of the administrative health data used.

"The predictors related to the sleep apnea increased the risk of diabetes that we find in our study can allow early preventive interventions in these patients," said Dr. Kendzerska.Fountain:

Tetyana Kendzerska, Andrea S. Gershon, Gillian Hawker, George Tomlinson, Richard S. Leung.Obstructive Sleep Apnea and Incident Diabetes: A Historical Cohort Study.American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, 2014;140604084050003 DOI: 10.1164/RCCM.201312-2209OC

fer's profile photo
fer
06/10/2014 6:56 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Well, hey Fer ... here they have given it !!!I suffer from sleep apnea.I am derived from the ambulatory to the hospital (2013) and they have given me time for 2016. Tocatemos H ... (for when I serve me I have fallen!).Anyway, I had all the numbers to be diabetics (sleep apneas, hypertension, genetic inheritance).What are we going to do!Let's see if they discover more things !!!;).Thanks for the information and a kiss of good night!

nina45's profile photo
nina45
06/12/2014 7:29 p.m.

Diabetica tipo II desde Diciembre de 2012 pero descendiente de diabéticos desde nacimiento
Medicacion: metformina de 850 gr mañana, mediodia y noche.
Ultima glicosila 6
Lema: "If you want a positive life, spent time with positive people!"

Many of nothing @nina45, for this is the forum, I hope it also serves many other people!;)

fer's profile photo
fer
06/12/2014 8:06 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Hello everyone,

I have sleep apnea and my experience with the CPAP was very uncomfortable and with other products that temporarily cured it, the most comfortable, effective and cheap were the chin and nasal dilators, I hope my experience serves them.Here is an explanation of what the chin and nasal dilators and the links are where I obtained the double -band chin and the nasal dilators.

Chin and dental applications.

Broad straps and dental sleep apnea applications can cure sleep apnea keeping your mouth closed, which keeps the tongue raised and forward, and that makes the breathing pass in the back of the throat is moreWidth or prevents obstruction.Broad straps and dental applications will cure the mild to moderate sleep apnea where it is only a matter of the position of the tongue, but will not help with the serious obstructive apnea of ​​the dream.

Dental applications work for many people, but some people find it difficult to sleep with something in their mouths.And those dental devices that force the jaw forward a few millimeters can be especially uncomfortable.

Standard neoprene chin straps are terribly designed and virtually useless because they push their jaw directly into the jaw joint.The only exception to what I have found is the Knightsbridge double band chin that produces a vertical elevation in the jaw.

Nasal dilators.

Many people find useful to use a nasal dilator in combination with a chin or a dental application, since a nasal dilator helps with nasal breathing.My favorite is the Nasal AID (www.nasalaid.com).The Nasal AID is very different from most other nasal dilators - it is made of spring steel with two plastic pads and is very comfortable.Most other nasal dilators consist of a couple of soft plastic tubes.Of the soft plastic tube dilators, I like the Snore Care Sets of light blue of Dortz.

Here I leave the links that I recommend: The Knightsbridge Correa del Menton:
Link

Vero1995's profile photo
Vero1995
10/28/2019 11:50 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.