{'en': 'Drinking alcohol with his head', 'es': 'Bebiendo alcohol con la cabeza'} Image

Drinking alcohol with his head

fer's profile photo   01/11/2016 10:32 a.m.

Alcohol plays an important role in many of our rituals and celebrations, for example at weddings alcohol circulates through the dining rooms continuously and abundantly for hours and hours.

Drinking too much alcohol is not healthy for any person and can cause severe hypoglycemia.The hypoglycemia that can cause alcohol is due to the fact that it interferes with the release of glucose by the liver.

Normally, the blood loose liver to the blood when it descends, but when the liver is busy metabolizing the alcohol ingested then does not do the previous function, since on average it takes to the liver 2 hours to metabolize a glass of alcohol.

Precautions should be taken and look at the sugar with their meter more frequently during the 2 hours that follow the take that each of the drinks, on the other hand the effects on the brain of alcohol, can confuse the person with diabetes and pass itunnoticed some of the symptoms of hypoglycemia that I previously noticed.

It must continue with special hypoglycemia prevention measures during the 36 hours that follow alcohol, as the risk of suffering is increased until then.This happens because while its liver was busy burning alcohol, not only did it not release glucose to the blood but also stop storing glucose in liver glycogen deposits.A consequence of all this is that after drinking alcohol, glucose liver reserves are diminished and when this happens then the glucagon does not serve as a treatment for severe hypoglycemia that will have to be fought.

Know that some alcoholic beverages can rise glycemia if they contain carbohydrates such as sweet wine, tonic or coca-colas, etc.

If you have diabetes, you should comment with your doctor the intention of drinking alcohol, so that you adjust or avoid medications whose action can be interfered with by alcohol or to tell us if we have any contraindication because there are some complications such as retinopathy, hypertension, neuropathy and hypertriglyceridemia that can see aggravated by the alcohol intake for the shot.

If you do not have any of these or other contraindications for the use of alcohol, and if you also enjoy a glass of alcohol a day it can help you improve your cardiovascular prognosis as has been demonstrated especially with red wine.

Acute alcohol consumption improves insulin action without affecting the secretion of the beta cell.This finding of Italian researchers suggests that the effect can be due in part to the inhibitor effect of lipolysis that alcohol or separation of products from fat degradation has.In his study, alcohol increased insulin sensitivity in both groups.Alcohol also reduces the release of free fatty acids by 17% in the control group but in 23% in volunteer patients with type 2 diabetes.

If you decide only to drink alcohol on the "great occasions" take precautions, never take it with a empty stomach or do not take it if you have hypoglycemia and as a precaution you always take some carbohydrate jointly for prevention.

Here you can see a carbohydrate equivalence table (HC), by type of alcoholic beverage.

Link

fer's profile photo
fer
01/11/2016 10:32 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

@Fer very interesting and clear.Thank you so much.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
01/11/2016 11:31 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

I have drunk a little twice Christmas.I would drink about 6 glasses every time.

I would recommend without continuous meter not to do it.

What I did was put half of the normal lantus, and drink the glasses with sugary drinks (tonic).The glucose hardly climbed me, did not go down, remained more or less the same.That is why the article explains that the liver to release glucose while metabolizing alcohol, and that is compensated with sugary drinks, if not the basal insulin of the Lantus would cause the glucose to lower us without stopping.
Before going to bed chocolate cookies, which are very slow absorption.

It was great to feel a normal person, I will detail it to the endo, to take off it.

What the glucagon article comments is very important and you have to take it into account, many people do not know.
The Naraja box does not work in drunkenness or in cases of having made a lot of sports for a long time, since there is no glycogen reserve

If you drink without a continuous meter, it would be convenient to tell a friend that if the thing is complicated and Caes Redondo, called to 112 explaining that you are diabetic and bring glucose serum of the greatest possible concentration, that you have drunk a lot.Just in case.
And of course they get absolutely anything in your mouth if you are no longer aware.

Artorias's profile photo
Artorias
01/11/2016 5:05 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

I recognize that the glucagon did not know !!Interesting information

GemaTer's profile photo
GemaTer
01/12/2016 12:34 a.m.

Conviviendo con la diabetes desde 1986
Aviva Combo Junio 2015
Freestyle Enero 2016
Dexcom g4 Octubre 2016
Ultima Hb1ac 5,7

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.