High values ​​after flu

eriantha's profile photo   01/16/2016 8:35 p.m.

First of all wishing for everyone.

I ended last year with good values ​​and very optimistic.In fact root of a consultation resolved very well in this forum (relative to how to improve morning values) I managed to reach a glycosilada of 6.5.Something I had not achieved for years!Thank you for your advice;))))

I go to the current consultation.As I said, I ended the very optimistic year with the purpose of having a glycosilada in 2016 between 6.2 - 6.8 (to be realistic).Well, I'm afraid that I have already started the year badly and that discourages me a lot.

Although they put the flu vaccine in mid -December, I was at the end of the year and with some kind of viral infection, which seems almost all at work.Until early this week I have been with a lot of mucus and cough.It seems that so far my values ​​are not normalizing but very slowly.That is, I have spent more than two weeks with very altered values ​​and without really knowing how to carry out the correction both in terms of basal (Lantus) and Novorapid.

For Lantus I have passed 24-25 you at night to 28 units and yet in the morning when I woke up I was still high.
As for Novorapid (my ratio was until now: for each insulin unit 50 mg/dl blood glucose) this ratio seems that it is no longer useful.So far what I do is to injure more novorapid, but always experiencing and unique type of criteria.Sometimes it works better than others ...

My question is: What kind of rule must be followed for the correction of blood glucose in these disease periods?

Thanks for your help !!

eriantha's profile photo
eriantha
01/16/2016 8:35 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

My other question is: Is it normal that after the fever period they continue to maintain high blood glucose values?

Thanks again,

eriantha's profile photo
eriantha
01/16/2016 8:52 p.m.

Infections affect a lot and you have to climb fast and slow, especially if you have a fever.
But after a few days everything returns to its place.
If you are not well, it vulse the doctor, lest you have been sinusitis or something ...

Regina's profile photo
Regina
01/17/2016 3:35 a.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

Hi Regina, thanks for your answer.I have little experience in being sick (luckily) and therefore, I did not know how to react.It seems that the values ​​are normalizing but the surprise is that without fever they were wrong.

Is there a calculation rule of how to compensate for these values ​​both in the basal and in the rapid in periods of disease?

eriantha's profile photo
eriantha
01/17/2016 12:43 p.m.

@eriantha, it is normal for high glycems to persist after the remission of the disease for a few days, this is because of the insulin resistance caused by high glycemia and the disease itself.You will have to keep these doses of insulin that you have already raised with very good judgment.According to this resistance, glycemia will go down and you will have to reduce the doses again.Normally and during the disease, it is usually necessary to increase the doses by 25% for each degree of temperature that is increased.The basal must be increased between 10-15% and also pre-intake bowling.The criteria to follow are always marked by glycemia.If there are vomiting and diarrhea the situation is different, and a smaller amount of insulin may be needed ... a hug!;)

Ainhoa's profile photo
Ainhoa
01/17/2016 1:44 p.m.

Dulce introducción al caos...
DT 3

Thanks Ainhoa, it is really a world that one does not cease to learn.Next time I will have more experience and I will know better how to react.It is lucky to have you in the forum.I lack these specific advice of the doctor, and these recommendations are just that help us to be the DM rested.I have really had a bad awareness for the last values ​​and this psychological burden is not easy to carry.

A hug!!!

eriantha's profile photo
eriantha
01/17/2016 2:31 p.m.

@eriantha, I also learn a lot here, as you say in this you never stop having something to ask, or that has never happened to you, or you receive a advice that facilitates things ... this forum is a mine.A hug !>: D <

Ainhoa's profile photo
Ainhoa
01/17/2016 9:54 p.m.

Dulce introducción al caos...
DT 3

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.