{'en': 'Teenagers with diabetes stop injecting insulin by vanity', 'es': 'Adolescentes con diabetes dejan de inyectarse insulina por vanidad'} Image

Teenagers with diabetes stop injecting insulin by vanity

fer's profile photo   03/17/2015 3:12 p.m.

Obesity and bad eating habits can influence for a person to develop type II diabetes.However, in the case of the so -called I, which is more frequently diagnosed in children and adolescents, it cannot be avoided.In it the pancreas simply ceases to produce insulin and must be replaced by an artificial hormone that is applied to the rest of life.

According to the nutritionist Jaqueline Alcántara Pérez, educator in said condition, the fact of receiving the diagnosis at an early age implies that the affected person does not understand or accept his illness and assume that he can eventually abandon the treatment.

“In consultation we realize that, mainly, young women living with type I diabetes do not apply insulin injections well, because they do not want other people to see them and decide for themselves to leave it.The fact represents a serious danger to your health, ”warns the mentor.

He affirms that most adolescents who stop injecting insulin do so for vanity, because some are afraid that the needle leaves them a visible bruise and others do not like that society sees them as diabetic patients.

“Excuses not to apply hormone can be easily solved.For example, most believe it should do so in the same place;The most recurring sites are legs and arms, but can also be injected into thighs, buttocks and several parts of the abdomen.Ideally, they do it in a different place every time insulin is administered.The technique to introduce the needle is also very important and it is convenient to perfect it by the hand of your doctor, ”says Alcántara Pérez.

The syringes also repolish

In addition, the nutritionist explains that the girls face two other serious problems when treating their diabetes with insulin.On the one hand, the syringes rest because they suppose it is more comfortable to use it all day.And they are also injected with needles, which although they are small, are still too long and thick.In this regard, the diabetes educator recommends using short needles (4mm ultrafines).

“Reusing syringes and using large needles can bring severe complications in the skin, such as localized hyperdistrophies that consist in developing fatty tissues, which are seen as‘ balls ’in the areas where the syringe is introduced.They are problems that ‘due to vanity’ should also avoid, ”he says.

How to avoid putting insulin?

“When a patient with type I diabetes states that he does not like to exhibit at the time of applying the hormone, the ideal is to help change the injection technique, suggest another type of syringes and guide it to properly manipulate insulin.The objective of these changes is to help them have confidence and lose their fear of showing their illness, ”says Jaqueline Alcántara Pérez.

Type I diabetes is caused by the destruction of pancreas cells and leads to an absolute deficiency of insulin.Therefore, it is essential that from the moment of diagnosis they change eating habits, begin with a permanent routine of exercise, they are educated on the disease and understand that in no case should the treatment be abandoned, Alcántara Pérez ends.

fer's profile photo
fer
03/17/2015 3:12 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

I wonder why?But I would tell them that: the morning day do not complain !!!!!: D

ani's profile photo
ani
05/03/2016 4:19 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

He who does not want to live, that I have his time please !!
People are a renormal seriously ... I can't understand.
The fight we have all day after day and read these things ...

Marcos_J_M's profile photo
Marcos_J_M
05/04/2016 12:45 p.m.

Marcos - 26 años - Debut a los 14
Sevilla - HbA1c 5.5

As a teenager I see that my son does not like to be seen the free sensor, and that is just an example.One day he forgot at home and insulin house and preferred not to eat than to call me, and that in school they have a meter ... he does not like to prick in public.They are teenagers and are not able to see the risk that this entails, there are things that only heals time and their attitude towards diabetes will be one of them.Adolescence is not his ally ....: -H

Enma's profile photo
Enma
05/04/2016 12:52 p.m.

Diabética tipo 3
Mamá de Iago (14 años)
Lantus 25 uds
Apidra a demanda
Freestyle libre
@enma

I debuted with 14 years and I have always been very aware that that could not be missing ... I can't be ovjective, since I have lived it from within, and being a teenager ... I'm sorry.I guess there are different ways to take things, although I used two vials, I had to mix them, I could not skip meals, I had to calculate few of action and others ... and it was all much more strict

Marcos_J_M
05/05/2016 1:34 a.m.

Sevilla - HbA1c 5.5

Well, however unconscious that attitude is, it can be understandable because people in general usually see diabetics with hurts and questions them all the time I think that may be the reason and of course not accept or believe that it is not soserious

Hilda's profile photo
Hilda
05/05/2016 3:04 a.m.

I started with 15 years and I identify with you @Marcos_J_M because before I was very strict and we could not do "those madness" and, at that, I appreciate that today I have 54 of diabtes 1 and still very "standing" and with a glssional of6.4 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!;)

ani's profile photo
ani
05/05/2016 8:09 p.m.

@ani bravo !!!It is my goal ... die when I touch, without suffering ... I do not ask for longevity, since the future is very uncertain, and if I have to die that is not slowly, with a smile on my face and if it can be accompanied byThe people I love ... nothing to go out like a candle, and that everyone remembers my last sour and sick state ... until today I have no complications, only in the peripheral veins of the foot and they come out as eclimites, which I observe,But go, I notice a hair on the little finger in winter ... and the perfect vascularization

Marcos_J_M
05/06/2016 12:11 p.m.

Sevilla - HbA1c 5.5

@Marcos_J_M, it also hurts to read this news and I understand that adolescence is a turbulent era but you have to be very aware of what it means to have diabetes, and there are things that cannot be optional or depend on whether they see you or not,It is hard but you have to prioritize and the care of oneself is the main thing, that must be learned soon .. My daughter debuted with two years and now has 15, she has her typical rebounds and humor changes that sometimes she is not understood sometimes or she, but he is super responsible, it has always been, and with the diabetes he does not joke ... he does not like to go giving the note but never hides, he is measured in class, excursions, in the middle of the street .. now he wears the bombAnd it takes her totally in sight, with a couple, she does not care to wear short t -shirts and that the catheter is seen, now it is also true that she announces that they look at him in a shameless plan, for that he says that he prefers to ask him directly ...
Teenagers or not to have things very clear as you say, and with this few jokes.A hug>: d <

Ainhoa's profile photo
Ainhoa
05/06/2016 1:49 p.m.

Dulce introducción al caos...
DT 3

@Ainhoa ​​goes ... your daughter is proud, it is very easy to be diabetic like the Esteban or the four fools these ... that is to be diabetic ... Being yes is a way of life ... the other is living asIf you were not and mistreat our temple ... I hope I can put the insulin bomb, I would love it ... but of course, it tells me that I am perfect to put it on ... and if you are uncontrolled, they tell you that you have to take itAll perfect to administer it ... bureaucracy fucking and with the money they have taken ... Anyway, I suppose I only have to fight.A very strong hug for you and another for your daughter.She is like it is because she has had a good guide ... I'm sure of it

Marcos_J_M
05/06/2016 2:23 p.m.

Sevilla - HbA1c 5.5

Thanks @Marcos_J_M>: D <
That fight against fucking bureaucracy was alsofurther!!!/:)

Ainhoa's profile photo
Ainhoa
05/06/2016 2:32 p.m.

Dulce introducción al caos...
DT 3

@Ahinoa and daughter, @marcos_j_m, how beautiful it is to read them and I admire and congratulate them !!It would be very "elegant" to raise our end but you are very optimistic and to continue like this !!!To end with a smile and the people who love you !!!!!For my part I have decided eutonasia (although Dr. says that in the diabtics), they cannot apply it, but I advise me: to reject all the therapeutic earning to prolong life, and in that way one "turns off" with "sweetness"And with double meaning, sugar goes up and ups and a severe diabetic coma occurs and stay hours !!!!!!!!!So people will be by my side in those last moments!Let's hope when I arrive and ........................... I will tell you;JA, JA, (I live in Belgique and that law is in force)

ani's profile photo
ani
05/06/2016 3:52 p.m.

marcos_j_m said:
@ani bravo !!!It is my goal ... die when I touch, without suffering ... I do not ask for longevity, since the future is very uncertain, and if I have to die that is not slowly, with a smile on my face and if it can be accompanied byThe people I love ... nothing to go out like a candle, and that everyone remembers my last sour and sick state ... until today I have no complications, only in the peripheral veins of the foot and they come out as eclimites, which I observe,But go, I notic

ani's profile photo
ani
05/06/2016 3:59 p.m.

I would advise you or give you my opinion that you do not stop attending to you and always observe any anomaly in you !!!Do not forget that: Diabtes is treacherous !!!!!Good luck and a lot of "family" this is only for the warriors like you and all of us !!!= D>

ani's profile photo
ani
05/06/2016 4:05 p.m.

I stay stone ... I guess the decision is already made ... A very strong hug.I understand you and you will have fought yours ... Nothing that I tell you here will make you change your mind.We are with you ...

Marcos_J_M
05/06/2016 10:58 p.m.

Sevilla - HbA1c 5.5

@ani, but that will be later, when you are already very old, right?

Regina's profile photo
Regina
05/07/2016 2:22 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

@Marcos_J_M Thank you very much for understanding me and for you to understand your decision is that at this age of 54anos of Diabts, and all the organs in my are delicate and I have become a fine glass glass, "when it falls, it breaks",so ;so that and why to prolong life with "medical essays" !!![-X @regina, don't scare yourself!that I still have energy or energy batteries for a while!(I hope so) but do not forget that I am in 70 years and life we ​​have not bought it in this world !!You have to leave the new and good and I will go happy because I lived my diabets 1 since the last century where there were not so many "advances" that today, when I read them in this forum, I tell them;Do not complain because they are in glory with the advances !!!And they did not know "the torture" that I and all of the past, lived !!!!;) Take a lot and feel happy !!!!!!!!!!!!!:))

ani's profile photo
ani
05/07/2016 3:38 p.m.

Bravo @ani you are an inspiration ... and if you, you have reached 70 with the treatments of yesteryear ... Read, I get strength and energy like steroid ...
The diabetics are forged to fire ...
A hug

Marcos_J_M
05/08/2016 12:54 a.m.

Sevilla - HbA1c 5.5

@Marcos_J_m I hope it helps you always move on !!!Do not forget that: Diabetes is for the brave and warriors !!!!!and ;Sure, you will pass the 70, 80, 90, and many more !!!!!!!!!!!!!!;) & GT ;: d & lt;& GT;: D<

ani's profile photo
ani
05/08/2016 9:18 a.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.