'Infant Diabetes' Second most common chronic disease and less understood in schools

fer's profile photo   01/25/2016 9:42 a.m.

Each year there are 1,100 new cases in Spain and there are approximately 30,000 cases of children under 15 with type 1 diabetes.

This type of diabetes unlike type 2, appears suddenly, without prior notice, and may appear from the birth of the baby to 30 years of age, being the most common age between 5 and 7 years and puberty, but butThere is no rule without exception giving cases of type 1 diabetes to 35 years.

From the detection of the disease, the capillary measurement of the glycemia and the administration of insulin subcutaneous several times a day is necessary, being usually in all the meals that are performed and in extra corrections when the glycemic measurements are outof the ideal range of each diabetic.

Parents' difficulties

Although it is a recognized chronic disease, parents with diabetic children and especially with the littlewhich must be made the capillary measurements before lunch, and supply the insulin if he is not yet trained to do it alone and if he is, to supervise him.

In the same way, as can be presented at any time a sugar rise (hyperglycemia) and a correction is necessary, and as in the vast majority of schools, unless they are public and have a nurse and not all, children remainUpon exposing, forcing parents to abandon their work and appeal at school with what this implies today in the workplace for them.

We could also talk about a decrease in sugar (hypoglycemia) that if they fail to overcome it with a sugary solution could lead to the loss of knowledge, fainting and diabetic coma as well as having other types of consequences depending on the time that is under these conditions, and asksIn that it is not a relief omission, since it is called Emergencies, they do not administer the injected glycogen.

The same happens in school canteens, they are not prepared to host a diabetic child, supplying the corresponding insulin depending on the food (which must be heavy in the form of rations).

Also and mentioning even incidentally, there is a problem with school outings, excursions to museums, or of any other nature, where parents are told that they cannot be aware of their child as should be diabetic withWhat this entails and even denies the parents the possibility of accompanying the group.

We must take into account that our children throw most of the time at school, and that they must make a normal life, something that truly makes children and parents very complicated.Let us advocate that this changes and that life is facilitated to children and their families, since this is also equality and no discrimination should be made by race, sex, religion and I add, illness.

fer's profile photo
fer
01/25/2016 9:42 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Indeed.I could not work while my daughter was very small, because it was impossible for me to be well controlled at school, as you say too much ignorance, very little involvement, constant risk.In fact, my daughter debuted with two years and did not take her to school until the four, I didn't see anything sure.I subscribe each and every one of your words @fer

Ainhoa's profile photo
Ainhoa
01/25/2016 4:26 p.m.

Dulce introducción al caos...
DT 3

Good night to all !!!I'm going to talk here from my double vision of diabetic and teacher.
As a teacher whenever I have found myself in a school where there were diabetic children I have triedTo click on children if necessary.
But on the other hand I understand my classmates.They do not stop attending children for lack of solidarity, but for fear and ignorance.
I think that in this many times the focus is made badly, and professionals are required to assume functions that do not correspond to them (someone would ask a doctor or nurse from a hospital to act as a teacher during the entry of a child ??,After all, their knowledge would surely allow them to do so).Actually, those who have to claim are administrations, since they are responsible for providing resources to the centers, and are responsible for responding to citizens' problems.
I know it is a very delicate issue, but I would not like people to stay with the idea that teachers are insolidaries and avoid the duty of relief ..., I think it's not that

All the best

nacho's profile photo
nacho
01/25/2016 10:39 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

The solution would be to provide health professionals with educational centers.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
01/25/2016 11:22 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

regina said:
The solution would be to provide health professionals with educational centers.

Neither more nor less.A teacher cannot be asked to administer (or monitor the administration of) medication, such as insulin that, for us, is something everyday, a bad administration can be deadly, (either by overdose or why it enters directly intovein or muscle and gives you the superbajada).And less glucagon, which may seem simple but to see who makes the mixture with a 3 -year -old boy foaming through the mouth and convulsing.
Nor can it be asked to be responsible for monitoring and managing hypoglycemia of a small being.
And if they carry insulin bomb ... for many people that is a NASA computer.

That each teacher collaborates in what can be fine, but what is needed is a health professional but in each center, in a center of each area and that children with diabetes have preference to choose that center.

I clarify that what I intend to say is that you cannot depend on the good faith of the teachers, the State must give the appropriate means.

Artorias's profile photo
Artorias
01/26/2016 2:10 a.m.

@Artorias, @regina, @nacho, I agree with you in providing specialized health personnel, which can be nursing or technical in auxiliary nursing care.It is true that the responsibility of administering insulin to a child is very big, too much to assume the teachers.I would never ask a teacher to take that initiative or assume that responsibility.Taking hair glycemia does not involve risk, but I understand that a teacher is not pleasant to prick a child's finger.Most of the children already schooling are made their glycemia alone, but the teacher's collaboration is very helpful to remind them to be done, verify that they are correct and in the parameters that parents have previously explained that they are "normal".With respect to glucagon and in the absence of health personnel, I think that just as all personnel working in collective centers must or should have first aid formation and be prepared to perform a CPR or a maneuver against choking, it should also be understoodWell the importance of the orange box that luckily almost never one, and perform some rehearsal of loading the injectable simulating a real situation.It is true that there is no obligation to administer it and that if they call 112 they are already participating in the treatment of the emergency, but if they have the knowledge and security that the administration of glucagon will not cause more damage and yet can administer itSoon it can be vital ... I have proven that most teachers have good faith and want to collaborate the best they can, but I have found, with respect to the educational community and the student@ diabetic@, two fundamental lacks.One of them is misinformation, a tremendous ignorance of what the DM1 and its peculiarities are, and I consider that informing about what it is and that it is relevant in children if it is an obligation of the teaching staff, since as states@fer In this entry, it constitutes the second most common chronic disease in nin@s.I have known true zopencos whose ignorance makes them underestimate the disease, and leave only a child in full hypoglycemia or even worse, allow you to go to their home and not even call their parents paqra comment on the situation and verify what had arrivedWell ^#( ^. The other lack is born from the previousexits, etc.to collaborate and team up with parents.

Ainhoa's profile photo
Ainhoa
01/26/2016 9:38 a.m.

DT 3

@Ainhoa ​​what reason you are !!On an excursion of the Cole in Iago, a couple of years ago, I asked the tutor if the glucagon carried the center or sent it to the rest of the medication.I wonder that if "that" was administered Iago in case of necessity.I almost fell from the chair ... I thought of not letting him go on an excursion ... In the end it was but imagine my anguish ... and the teacher was super collaborator !!

Enma's profile photo
Enma
01/26/2016 10:40 a.m.

Diabética tipo 3
Mamá de Iago (14 años)
Lantus 25 uds
Apidra a demanda
Freestyle libre
@enma

Well, with telling you that in the center where I was when I debuted with 10 years (now I am 22) they suggested my mother who had to change my center ... I tell you everything, right?
In the end my father had to go talk to the director and I have no other than letting me continue studying there but we are going to have the glucagon in there at all because once he had a big scare, in the end the bad time ended up taking itMy older sister ..
So although there was no problem there .. it is clear that in all the centers there should be any assistant or nurse for any type of problems not only with diabetes.

CaarmenGarcia's profile photo
CaarmenGarcia
01/26/2016 12:12 p.m.

Pfff @enma
@Caarmegarcia, chilling anecdotes is to bore ... Before the course I always go to the center, I give the teachers the typical talk, I explain that she does her glycemia, I speak to them of the symptoms of the hypos andI take the glucagon, explaining how my smiles are going with the best and that surely removed it at the end of the course already expired, but please, in the unlikely case that hypoglycemia is so chunga that it is unconscious or cannot take anything, put it on and call 112. My daughter carries her glycosport, her diabalance and before carrying the bomb, her bolis.But as she is a bit clueless, she took the center more gels and glucose to have in the head of studies just in case, and once a month she carried a new novorapid ball to keep there to reserve, in case she had any hyper andI would have forgotten to take insulin from home or have the ball in the last, emphasize that it was simply so that if she needed to be corrected for being high, she had an extra ball in the center.The glucagon kept him in a fridge, and believed that after releasing them the corresponding roll they had understood what it was and its function.Well, at the end of the course, when I went to pick up things, the teacher takes the novorapid ball that he had taken that month, and when he gave me, he tells me, "this is what I had to put if he gives him a low, truth? ".... amaucinating.8-X

Ainhoa's profile photo
Ainhoa
01/26/2016 1:31 p.m.

DT 3

@Ainhoa, eat your doctor if they already give inhaled glucagon, which can be administered being unconscious.It will give you a lot of peace of mind at school.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
01/27/2016 12:39 a.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

Thanks @regina, I'm going to ask.I read the news that I was going to leave, but since these things always take to be approved and be at our disposal, or they are ineffective and they are not given viability, I did not finish believing at all and I have not investigated anymore.I hope it is true and see the light, because the application facilitated quite the one that anyone could administer without so much yuyu and the intramuscular.A hug

Ainhoa's profile photo
Ainhoa
01/27/2016 10:07 a.m.

DT 3

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.