APD: called to enjoy Christmas without losing control of diabetes

fer's profile photo   11/24/2014 10:37 a.m.

The Puerto Rican Association against Diabetes celebrated today, Sunday, the “A highlight 2014” event to offer guidance on the disease.

Days of the celebration of Thanksgiving, and with Christmas just around the corner, the celebration of parties, banquets to find succulent typical dishes, accompanied by culinary temptations such as coquito, among others, is expected.
Therefore, the exhortation of the Puerto Rican Association against Diabetes (APD), to the people suffering from this disease and to the general citizenship to enjoy at this festive era of the delights of Puerto Rican cuisine, but do it intelligently.

The APD celebrated today, Sunday, the “A highlight 2014” event, which served to offer guidance to the family in general about diabetes disease.In the activity, which was held in the La Paz pavilion of the Luis Muñoz Rivera Park, at Puerta de Tierra, lectures, health tests and even free hair cuts for attendees were offered.The people who attended also enjoy live music, crafts and activities for children, among others.

"Today 23, before thanksgiving, we prepare our people, we educate it, so that at Christmas time they take control of their diabetes and their complications," said Elba Blanes, executive director of the APD."Diabetes can be controlled and you can avoid complications."

According to Blanes, what it is about is to eat in a responsible way - which she defines how to eat everything but in small portions - and do a minimum exercise of 15 minutes a day, such as walking as a family.
As an example, in the activity, a wine tasting was also held with emphasis on moderation as a main requirement to enjoy everything without putting health at risk.

"What we recommend is that the wine is consumed moderately," said Vanessa Roche, from the Barefoot Wine company, one of the companies participating in the activity.

Diabetes is considered the third cause of death in Puerto Rico, but is strongly linked to the other two, complications of the heart and cancer, in addition to other high -risk diseases such as hypertension and kidney problems, two participating health professionals explained two participating professionalsIn “Alcaaminada 2014”, the endocrinologist Luis Ruiz and the nutritionist Marisa Santiago.

“Diabetes is a multifactorial condition that mainly in Puerto Rico can be attributed to lifestyles, genetics, and obesity.We eat too many refined flours, soft drinks and sweetened drinks.We are not exercising and obviously (need) a balanced diet, ”explained the doctor.

Ruiz said that citizens must exercise and regretted that many people have exercise machines at home but do not use it.In addition, the diabetic should be oros with your doctor to use your drugs correctly.
He also warned the importance of eating properly, especially in the Christmas season.

“If you are going to eat cakes, look, it's half small pastel, but don't eat a cake.It is knowing how to eat, you can eat for portions, ”said Ruiz.

For its part, the nutritionist Santiago said that diabetes should not try to control with a single drastic solution, such as stop eating sugar, but small measures.

"I never say they stop eating anything, it's eating less," he said.

Testimony against diabetes

María del Pilar Kuidlán Díaz is 67 years old, is a neighbor of Carolina and works as a nurse.He is the only one of nine brothers who has diabetes, but his parents and two of his daughters also suffer from the terrible disease.

As he said during the activity, the woman understands that her condition is due, to a large extent, that she did not take good care of her health, despite her profession.I never exercised and notI took time for dinner or lunch.

17 years ago, and with a weight of 250 pounds, the woman developed diabetes, the same condition that killed her mother, attacked her father and cost her the left leg of one of her daughters, which had to be amputated by this disease.

However, a change in his mentality has led Kuidlán Díaz and completely transform his lifestyle.
“Now I walk regularly and carry my diet.I go to the doctor every three months and I take my pills, because I am not insulin dependent, like my daughter (the one who lost a leg) who needs three doses a day, ”said the woman.

"It's about one care," he added.

Indeed, the nutritionist Santiago said that to maintain the condition of diabetes under control, three key steps must be followed: visit your medical professional to be well informed of your condition;Improve the relationship with food (knowing what to eat) and finally exercise, even 10 minutes a day.

"Sedentary lifestyle and bad eating habits are overweight that increase diabetes risk factors," Santiago said.

fer's profile photo
fer
11/24/2014 10:37 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.