{'en': 'The GABA reverses type 1 diabetes in transplanted human cells in mice', 'es': 'El GABA revierte la diabetes de tipo 1 en células humanas trasplantadas en ratones'} Image

The GABA reverses type 1 diabetes in transplanted human cells in mice

fer's profile photo   11/27/2014 11:09 a.m.

There are many research to cure type 1 diabetes, but it is not an easy task.For example, work is being done on antibodies that revert type 1 diabetes in mice, the use of custom stem cells to produce insulin and in other techniques such as the use of artificial pancreas to facilitate coexistence with the disease.

Now a new investigation opens a new range of possibilities.A chemical produced in the pancreas that prevents and even reverts type 1 diabetes in mice, has the same effect on human beta cells transplanted into mice, indicates new research.

The GABA (or gamma-aminobutiric acid) is an amino acid produced by the same beta cells that synthesize and secrete insulin (in addition, of having other functions).

Doctors Gerald Prud'homme and Qinghua Wang of the Keenan Biomedical Science Research Center of the St. Michael Hospital published a study in 2011 showing for the first time that GABA's injections, not only prevented type 1 diabetes but also reversed thedisease.

Now, a new study, published in Diabetes, shows that GABA does the same function in mice with human pancreatic cells.

Prud’homme and Wang doctors also found that GABA also importantly increased the survival rate of pancreatic cells when they were transplanted in mice.About 70% of the cells die in the interval that is going since they are collected from the organ and transplanted.The researchers said their finding could carry future investigation specifically related to pancreas transplant.

The GABA has been known for decades for its role as a key neurotransmitter in the brain, a chemical compound that nerve cells use to communicate with each other, but their role in the pancreas and in relation to diabetes was unknown to the 2011 study of 2011Prud'homme and Wang.

The GABA and related therapies could be tested in humans, a process that could take several years, according to researchers, since many treatments that work in mice do not always translate into effective therapies in humans.

Source: Link

fer's profile photo
fer
11/27/2014 11:09 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

I hope ... God wants it ... in fact looks ... I know how my diabetes great -grandmother died when there was still no insulin ... I mean that it has been very much progress in less than 100 years that I agoThey discovered insulin.Let's wait and pray that for economic reasons the investigation is not staggered ...:-?
Kisses to all and an Achuchonete Fer ...

nina45's profile photo
nina45
12/17/2014 8:27 a.m.

Diabetica tipo II desde Diciembre de 2012 pero descendiente de diabéticos desde nacimiento
Medicacion: metformina de 850 gr mañana, mediodia y noche.
Ultima glicosila 6
Lema: "If you want a positive life, spent time with positive people!"

nina45 said:

What has advanced " a lot of " I guess it's Icony?:))

Because in 100 years, which are also those of the greatest advances in all the fields (escape in this) the DM1 let's continue with the same, uncomfortable and ineffective treatment of 100 years ago, that is with the injection of insulin is of a shame of others.

Of course, for mice I think with this is already the number a thousand that they find.Will there be anything that does not cure diabetes in mice?:-?

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
12/17/2014 7:32 p.m.

En 1922 descubrieron la insulina, en 1930 la insulina lenta. ¿Que c*** han hecho desde entonces?

Caray @sherpa41! It is not so ... Penicillin is also from the time of insulin, and well that is still used as then, not to mention the anesthesia that has been discovered centuries ago.

From my point of view, that as much as possible, and hopefully one day, one of the priests in the mice can be applied to humans, and the sooner the better! But meanwhile, we live with diabetes the best we can!;-)

Here are some information about penicillin and anesthesia, for which you like to deepen the issues.

Penicillin

In addition to being one of the most important medicine discoveries in history, penicillin was also one of the most surprising accidental discoveries.It was discovered by Alexander Fleming, who while he was studying the flu in 1928, left an open laboratory window and was absent for almost a month.Upon returning to the laboratory, he discovered that on the Petri plate he had forgotten, a kind of fungus had ruined the cultivation of staphylococcus bacteria that he kept there.

However, what Fleming actually discovered was the incredible properties of Penicillium fungi, capable of eliminating bacteria in an extremely effective way.This discovery allowed the elaboration of numerous and important medications that have saved millions of people, and earned him a Nobel Prize.

anesthesia

Different forms of anesthesia were thought throughout history and in various regions of the ancient world, from ancient Greece to ancient Egypt, Asia and the Americas, different civilizations applied plants with natural trophanic alkaloids.From the Middle Ages, certain preparations capable of numbing some senses and others were performed, but it was not until the nineteenth century that the first forms of real anesthesia began to be used.Until then, everything was very, very different.

You know, the classic scene: a man on donkey who needed to be operated or amputated, what was done?The person was placed on a table, he was handcuffed, he was given something to bite and simply began with the intervention.The first form of anesthesia was cocaine, isolated by the Austrian ophthalmologist Karl Koller in 1859, after the suggestions of Sigmund Freud, who proposed to use it for eye operations.Today we cannot really conceive the idea of ​​a surgical intervention without anesthesia.

fer's profile photo
fer
12/18/2014 7:48 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

fer said:
feasanesthesia that was discovered centuries ago.

Imagine that to combat infections we only had the penicillin of Fleming.That in these 100 years nothing more would have been discovered, only the ways of administering the penicila or to measure the level of infection would have been improved, but we did not have any antibiotic more, or anything.

That and not another, would be the equivalent of the scientific advance that has been in these 100 years against the DM1.

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
12/19/2014 4:31 a.m.

En 1922 descubrieron la insulina, en 1930 la insulina lenta. ¿Que c*** han hecho desde entonces?

sherpa41 said:
... that in these 100 years would not have been discovered anything else, only the ways of administering the penicila or to measure the level of infection would have been improved, but we did not have anyAntibiotic more, or anything.

That and not another, would be the equivalent of the scientific advance that has been in these 100 years against the DM1.

What happened more than 100 years ago is that people died of diabetes, if you look at it from the historical perspective you will see that to get here, many centuries have needed.

That I also tell you that with this I do not conform, that I agree that you have to invest more in research and that it reaches people, but I do not see "guilty" to which to accuse, and that in any case, you have toSupport initiatives looking for a cure for diabetes.

Here I leave you a little historical reading :;-)

Diabetes in Antiquity.
Papyrus of Ebers.
The first reference to diabetes is found in the Ebers papyrus found in 1862 in Thebes (today Luxor).In the papyrus a symptomalogy reminds of diabetes and remedies based on certain decoctions.

The ancient Hindu literature in the Vedas describes the sticky urine, with honey flavor and that strongly attaches the diabetic ants.

súsrutpeople of a certain age.

Demetrio de Apamea refined the diagnosis of MEMFIS diabetes mellitus of Memfis coined the end of diabetes (from day = day "through" and betes = betes "pass") to define a state of weakness, intense thirst and polyuria.Apollonius believed it was a form of hydropesia.

Pablo de Aegina refined even more the diagnosis of "dypsacus" (diabetes) associated with a state of weakness of the kidneys excess urination that led to dehydration.He prescribed a remedy based on herbs, endivias, lettuce and live red clover with dates of dates and myrtle to drink in the first stages of the disease, followed by poultice based on vinegar and rose oil on the kidneys.Previous on the use of diuretics but allowed venisection (bleeding).

Galen I thought that diabetes was a very rare sick, using alternative terms such as "urine diarrhea" and "Dypsacus" this last term to emphasize the extreme thirst associated with the disease.

Arateus de Capadocia , who also described tetanus used the diabetes term to describe the condition that led to an increase in urine.He predicted a restricted diet and diluted wine and in the terminal states Opio and Mandragora.

fer's profile photo
fer
12/19/2014 7:22 a.m.

Sherpa, if they have not found a cure for diabetes yet, it is because it should not be easy. The pancreas cells have been lost .., I compare it with losing a hand .. in the difficult cure ..

Regina's profile photo
Regina
12/19/2014 10:55 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

Regina, also many heart patients have lost the heart cells that are the drivers of the nerve impulse so that the heart can rhythmically can and have created automatic pacemakers who mimic that nervous stimulus (they do not have to press a little buton when they want their hearts,When we want to eat we have to touch the Botoncito (Insulin Injection Metaphora)
What happens is that heart patients are many and sell pacemakers to thousands, hundreds of thousands, however we (type 1) ... that we are 1% of the population ???

Gala's profile photo
Gala
12/20/2014 1:03 a.m.

"Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro"

I believe that the problem is that there are insulin injections, both for the business they suppose and by the brake they give to new therapies and research.As unfortunately we know the diabetics, most people who are not, it is believed that with insulin diabetes is already controlled.So any research is slowed down by permits and bureaucracy until it disappears.

If they did not exist, if Banting had not discovered it (Robandoshe to Nicolae Paulescu), I am sure that many decades that we would have better alternatives.And less bad than Banting did not get his other "discoveries" to be used, because in 1940 he created the first private biological weapons research center in the world.And pressed that the Antrax and other lethal viruses and bacteria were used in Europe and Japan.What a element.

Returning to diabetes, without insulin they would have died between the 20s and 50s of the last century, many diabetics who "saved" insulin.But in the long term, with the accelerated search for other better treatments, millions would have been saved, and especially of terrible complications and lives.

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
12/20/2014 5:15 a.m.

But, Sherpa, insulin is the easiest to discover. It was already there.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
12/20/2014 4:02 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)

Gala, it is true that the artificial pàncreas already had to exist a long time ago, and that the pfoblema is that we are few customers ...

Regina's profile photo
Regina
12/20/2014 4:05 p.m.

But the cure is something else ... that's more difficult

Regina's profile photo
Regina
12/20/2014 4:07 p.m.

Of course, the cure is something else but I with an apparatus that did the times of my pancreas formed or better a pill like the t2

Gala's profile photo
Gala
12/20/2014 6:12 p.m.

@Gala, I with a pill, or 5 a day and I assure you that I would be much more relaxed.Because one of the things that most ... is to click.X (so for me as if they have insulin by rubbing but please change the system.

pochola's profile photo
pochola
12/22/2014 4:59 p.m.

DM1 desde 2011 8 puntos Lantus. Todo esfuerzo traerá su recompensa ♥ Hemo 5.7

For me the problem, that too, it is not that you have to click, it is that the puncture does not mean that you are well controlled, that is what bothers me.That you can put all your efforts, click 5 or 6 times a day, do 10 controls, eat every day more less the same and find a beautiful 350, it is what gives me for ....
And already the total rage is when people think that with what cans you are already resolved and if you are not ok

Gala's profile photo
Gala
12/22/2014 5:23 p.m.

Yes, gala, that is the subject, glucose fluctuations and the imperfect of treatment

Regina's profile photo
Regina
12/23/2014 2:39 a.m.

The day they manage to find the cure, if this day comes (I hope yes) I will give a piece of party.I said xD

FernandoGR's profile photo
FernandoGR
12/30/2014 6:26 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Fernandog said:
the day they manage to find the cure, if this day comes (I hope yes) I will give a piece of party.I have said xD

I will join you, yes sir.
Now, it's like rare diseases.If there was business, there would be a cure.
It is also true that, now that there are many Americans who are young and have T1, because this evolves this ...

miguelten's profile photo
miguelten
01/05/2015 4:27 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.