Artificial pancreas demonstrates efficacy in the control of type 1 diabetes

fer's profile photo   11/29/2014 10:27 a.m.

The first clinical trial of the world that has bought three alternative treatments for type 1 diabetes confirms that the external artificial pancreas improves glucose control and reduces the risk of hypoglycemia.The results, which are published in «The Lancet Diabetes & AMP;Endocrinology »could have a significant impact on the treatment of type 1 diabetes.

Artificial pancreas is an automated system that simulates the functioning of the normal pancreas through the continuous insulin administration based on changes in glucose levels.There are two configurations: the artificial pancreas of ‘unique hormone’, which releases only insulin and the artificial pancreas of ‘double hormone’, which manages so much insulin and glucagon.

While insulin decreases blood glucose levels, glucagon has the opposite effect and increases glucose levels.

Prevent hypoglycemia

"Our clinical study has been the first to compare these two configurations of the artificial pancreas with the treatment of conventional diabetes through an insulin bomb," explains Rémi Rabasa-Lhoret, IRCM and the University of Montreal (Canada).The objective, he adds, "was to determine the utility of glucagon in the artificial pancreas, especially to prevent hypoglycemia, which remains the main obstacle to achieving glycemic objectives."

People who live with type 1 diabetes must carefully administer their blood glucose levels to ensure that they remain within a range;In this way, severe long -term complications are avoided in relation to high levels of glucose or hyperglycemia, such as blindness or renal failure, and also to reduce the risk of hypoglycemia that can lead to confusion, disorientation and, if it is serious, loss of consciousness, coma and seizures.

Now this study confirms that the two artificial pancreas systems improve glucose control and reduce the risk of hypoglycemia compared to the treatment with the conventional pump.And according to the engineer Ahmad Haidar, first author of the study, the work shows that «pancreas of‘ double hormone ’provides an additional reduction in hypoglycemia compared to the‘ unique hormone system ’».

Night risk

The data is very relevant because the low blood glucose levels remain very frequent during the night, which increases the risk of night hypoglycemia, which is also a source of stress and anxiety, especially for parents with childrenDiabeticsAccording to Laurent Legault, pediatric endocrinologist at the Montreal Children's Hospital, "the artificial pancreas has the potential to substantially improve diabetes and the quality of life of patients and their families."

Canadian researchers are carrying out clinical trials to test the system for longer and more patient periods.Technology, they point out, could be available in the market in the next five to seven years.

More 285 million people worldwide are affected by diabetes, and approximately 10% have type 1 diabetes. With an increase of 7 million people to develop diabetes every year, this number is expected to reach 438 million in 2030, which makes it a world epidemic.

fer's profile photo
fer
11/29/2014 10:27 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Hello fer,
I have used an artificial pancreas and I can tell you about my experience.I am part of several studies that are developing it.The one I was wearing was the one who uses a single hormone, that is, without glucagon (with animas and dexcom).
To summarize my experience: it was a pass.I spent the night in 100, he took me out of hypoglycemia stopping to give me insulin (this during the day) and gradually corrected according to the predictions he made in terms of the pregnancy of my glycemia.I, for my part, had withdrawal syndrome.I have been diabetes for 30 and so many years and now I am a Dexcom geek that I have glued to the rear always pending looking for the perfect number.Thus, being disconnected from my numbers and having someone else deciding for me became super strange.I also tell you that I am willing to overcome the syndrome and place one as soon as I can.
The cons of the system, which there are also, are 1) that the thing goes long.I thought it was imminent until I saw the engineer knot the pirate cables from the pump to the tablet and ask me for the MCG to connect it to the Captain-Garfio system.This same engineer-engineer told me that he threw a couple of years, and the doctor next to his side and added that he would better throw about 5 or 6. 2) Other negative thing will be the price.Of course not accessible to everyone.I, a woman who is worth two, I have already started my little huchita for when the time comes.One thing is safe, that "cure" of diabetes that is discussed around from time to time I do not think that I have a lotRussian mountain rattus (Parriba, Pabajo, Parriba, Pabajo ...)

elen's profile photo
elen
12/17/2014 6:38 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Those who have a bomb as you do to sleep, do not move just or what?I move a lot.

And I only carry the freestyle patch, which is quite fine, but still bothers me a lot.One charges me so much to move in bed.I can't imagine carrying a nailed cannula, but the cable and insulin diffuser hanging, often overwhelmed.:(

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
12/17/2014 8 p.m.

En 1922 descubrieron la insulina, en 1930 la insulina lenta. ¿Que c*** han hecho desde entonces?

Let's see if, when they take it out, everything is integrated, reduced size and without cables ..

Regina's profile photo
Regina
12/17/2014 11:38 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.